Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 Jimmy Xformation

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by lehtola, Mar 22, 2001.

1. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

O.K. everyone...my first post. I've finally gotten the vehicle I've been looking for over about 4 years of searching and settling for less with a few later model tahoes. I've got a real one now...a 90 Jimmy with 3:42 gears and I'm getting ready to put my 4" skyjacker lift on with 35x12.50's. This is going to be my everyday ride so some practical advice would be appreciated. I'm planning on going with an ORD steering box support and stabilizer disconnect. What about the gears? Some people have suggested 4:11-4:56 but if I don't care that I'm sluggish does it matter? What about headers for a 90? What are some good applications to replace stock exhaust manifolds? I also need a new headliner and also want to replace the seats for something more comfortible. Let me hear from you. lehto@capital.org

2. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

Yes, it does matter. With 35's, I think 3.73's are the bare minimum you could get away with. 4.11's or lower would be far better; less stress on the engine & trans. Speaking of trans, have the trans powerflushed, then get a big transmission cooler. Change ALL the fluids so YOU know they're good. As far as headers go, the Flow Tech Afterburners seem to be a good, inexpensive choice that make good power. If you've got more to spend, the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers are, in my opinion, the best choice. Thick flanges, heavy-gauge tubing, Tri-Y design for max torque. Aside from cost, I've never heard a bad word said about these headers.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

3. 6.2Blazer

6.2Blazer 1/2 ton status

I would highly recommend investing in the gear swap to at least 4.11 gears. This will help both off-the-line power and also fuel economy as compared to the stock 3.42 gears. I know gear swaps can be pricey, can I think you get just as much, if not more, of a performance gain by having the proper gears for the tire size then if you spent the same on engine parts. Also, the transmission will be much happier with the gears also.

4. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

I used to run 3.08's with 35's and now i run 4.10's with 35's. The 3.08's weren't that bad, but the 4.10's are better. The 3.08's were liveable.

Mike [​IMG]
    See <font color=green>EMMETT</font color=green> -&gt; <A target="_blank" HREF=http://emmett.coloradok5.com>http://emmett.coloradok5.com</A>

5. Bone85K5

Bone85K5 1/2 ton status

Deff. change all fluids. Dont forget the xcase and front and rear diffs, the same technique for the tranny can be applied to chage the diffs..

Seats-- Ill buy your old ones

Headers-- dont buy cheap ones. Deff. get the thickest flange you can find. Borla is good, so are the above mentioned. Deff!!! dont get cheap dyno-crap (dynomax) like i did, they leak and always need to be tightned.

Wheels... what are you doing with the stock ones?? Love to buy those also

Ben
    www.BenjaminBone.coloradoK5.com

6. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

The headliner should be pretty easy to do yourself...all the places say to get it done profrssionally but its BS. i helped a buddy make a new one for an S-10 Blazer which has a helluva lot bigger headliner than a K5 and it was really easy. We did it for about $20, 12 for the board at a junkyard, 6 for the glue and 2 for the fabric at a discout fabric place. It looks OK, the color doesn't really match, but for $20 it looks awesome. If you got real headliner material it would look better.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>