Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'90 K5 computer frustrations.

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by tiger9297, Jan 9, 2005.

1. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

Have a '90 K5 and of course every ^$*&%%$ thing on it is controlled by that computer. This weekend I tried to replace the printed circuit and of course LMC sent me the wrong one. My speedo is controlled by the comp and the circuit they sent me had no circuit for the speedo. The computer limits you so much as to what you can do. I'm also about to install a new engine but you have to compensate for the computer in every thing there as well. I will probably go w/ a 350 w/ the Howell Multi-point injection system. Seems like the best option. I guess what I'm getting at is that the computer is a pain in the a$$. I saw that someone posted a pic of a custom panel last week. I'd love to do that but the comp. wouldn't like it. I have to say I'm jealous of you guys w/ older K5's b/c you can just do whatever you want with your trucks. Have any of you guys w/ newer K5's ditched the computer or do you just live with it. Any advice, help, suggestions, solutions?????? Thanks.

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yes, the computer SO limits what we can do with our vehicles.

Damn shame everything new starts right away, runs at any angle, gets better mileage with more power than ever before, gear change compensation for the speedometer can be corrected with a soldering iron, etc., :rolleyes:

3. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

I like my computer controlled vehicles. Wouldn't have it any other way.

I dont miss the old carberated stone age at all.

4. tiger9297

tiger9297 1/2 ton status

I agree that overall the computer controlled vehicles are better, but when a truck reaches 15 years of age like my '90 K5, parts availability becomes an issue. Modifications have to be made and the computer sometimes makes those mods difficult. I am interested in knowing what other guys are doing about their computer controlled vehicles.

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

Parts for TBI are common. I have never had any problems getting parts. There are millions of TBI vehicles out there. There is a huge market for parts. Someone will always be there to supply it.

As for mods. Yes you have to build your engine accordingly. But there are lots of aftermarket performance parts for TBI trucks.You can even get TBI Chips that allow you to run the GM 350 HO Vortec engine. If you have a mind to slap one of those babys in there. I have done a lot of modifications to my TBI system with great results. Personally I like the simplicity of TBI over MPFI . Sure TBI wont make the power that MPFI is capable of. But if built right around 300 HP is an attainable goal with TBI. You can make even more with custom chips, cam, and larger throttle body/ injectors.

BTW If you go Howell MPFI you will still have a computer. Matter of fact I believe all the electronics that controll their MPFI are guinuine GM parts. Basiclly the same thing you have in your truck now.