Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 K5 engine problems

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by foxman, Nov 9, 2001.

1. foxman

foxman 1/2 ton status

I changed the intake gasket the other day in order to fix aa antifreeze leak. After all was completewd and everything hooked back up, it seemeed to run fine, though the timing was off. After trying to adgust out the timing by the "test Drive technique" It seemed to get worse when idling. I'd had a problem with the idle geting really low (stumbling) after reving it in drive with the brake on. Anay way It has gotten worse to the point where it will not idle without your foot on the gas. I replaced the Idle air control motor last night and it didn't do a thing. This morning it gave me a 22 engine code. That means something like wide open throttle circut grounded. Is this my problem? Would this mean the TPS is bad or something elyse? Is it possible that my distribuor is off a tooth? Please help as I am ruining my brakes by keeping my foot on the gass!!!

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

How did you time it? Look on your little spec sheet on your front clip, it says how. You have to disconnect a little wire up by the firewall before you time it. Once that is undone, set the timing for 0 degrees and shut it off. Plug that wire back in and you're done.

You probably already did it that way, but you never know cause it messed me up until I figured out how to time a TBI motor.

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76>http://www.geocities.com/bigkern76</a>

3. Emmettology 101

Emmettology 101 3/4 ton status

Sounds like you may have a bad vacuum leak... Witht he engine running spray around the intake and the base of the TBI with carb and choke cleaner or starting fluid and see if the idle changes..

Mike

<font color=green>"1024x768x256... Sounds like one mean woman."</font color=green>

<a target="_blank" href=http://www.geocities.com/emmettology101>www.geocities.com/emmettology101</a>

4. walt88

walt88 1/2 ton status

Thats what happened to me, vacuum.

350FI/700r4/NP208c/10b's ORD 4" Shackle Flip/ORD Disconnects

5. CarolinaBogger

CarolinaBogger Registered Member

That wire that they are talking about that you have to unplug is a relay wire for the ECM. I think it is brown. You have to unplug it, time it, then plug it back in so the computer won't get confused.