Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 K5 floor project

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by corradofreek, Nov 11, 2004.

1. corradofreek

corradofreek 1/2 ton status

so i have a 90 K5 and the floors are rotting out. i have been thinking about doing the floors, but everytime i put it on the lift, the project seems sooooo grim. i am a very compentant mechanic with many ASE's, but have never rebuilt something like this..

my question is: with how bad my blazer is, should i:
    A: get all the replacement floor pieces, new body mounts and associted hardware and start fabbin?

or

B: find a nice southern shell and work on getting that.

if everything goes through, i'll have a nice place to do the work over the winter. but i'm not sure how big of a project this could become. this is after all my winter truck/ offroad toy and i wanna keep it as the motor and drivetrain are excellent

lets hear your opinions. and if yopu can help a recently unemployed mechanic, let me know tooo /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

2. pauly383

pauly383 Daddy383 Staff Member Moderator

3. corradofreek

Thanks for the reply, and a great one at that. now to think on this one. i was definatly thinking of rhino lining the cab or something similar to make it easy to clean after mudding. and looks like i will need alot of measurements to make this right

4. southernspeed

southernspeed 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    A member here , jlaughner , did his entire floor in diamond plate .

[​IMG]

http://www.jjlaughner.com/truck/floorrepair/floorrepair.html

[/ QUOTE ]
    Yeah, he did A LOT of work. I hear they are going to ask him to fit out all the trucks in Iraq as that thing is 'land mine proof' now!! /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. bablazer73

bablazer73 1/2 ton status

Also being from the great northeast, i feal your rust pain bro!
    My 89 was a wreck when i pulled the carpets up. Although i didn't go to the extent that JJ did, but for the most part, I made my own floors.
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif
    From my experiance, most of the replacement floors you can buy, don't fit! The rear cab floor pieces are all made for the pre 86 floors with recessed seat mounts. The 86 and newer seat area was raised. I found it just as easy to make my own rear floors as to making the aftermarket crap fit! I did however use the replacement front floors. they fit like crap also, but have the needed lips formed in already.
    [​IMG] /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif
    even without the raised seat mounts in the floor, thy seats fit back in and are even. I figured once the carpet and padding go back in, nobody will notice. It's quite solid now!!
    [​IMG]

I did replace all the cab mounts, inner and outer rockers, and inside the B piller, where the seat belt attaches. I bought a 6x8 sheet of heavy steel fom a local guy for 60.00. after all the fab work was done, I have a 1x4 section left! I have more pics, if you want to see the "damage" these are the only 3 already online.

6. corradofreek

i'd love to see more pictures. now that i am unemployeed i'm probably just gonna make some support to save it till the spring when i can put my other car back on the road and do this all right

7. elacruze

elacruze 1/2 ton status

Here's some photos of what I took out of mine. I replaced both sides with parts from JC Whitney. They were of better quality than I expected, and the rockers/inner rockers/supports were excellent fit. The floor pans were better than expected but did take a bit of tampering with a small ball pein to make perfect. The only tools I needed were a 90 amp MIG and a cutoff wheel on an air grinder. I've never done any sheetmetal or bodywork before, and it was far easier than I ever thought. The only thing I didn't think about was the dimension of the door frame-the first side went great, but now the passenger side is +3/16" wide so the door hinges had to be shimmed. It's too ugly to matter really. Anyway, don't be afraid-just throw away the word 'dainty' and start ripping. I used jacks and lumber to support things while they were cut, and it took a total of maybe 8 hours over a week or so to finish.
    No precision parts in there, for sure.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

8. corradofreek

i think my floors are gonna be in the same shape if not worse then jlaughner's truck pictured above. so i'm guessing this will be a week or two long project that needs to be done either mid winter when i get my S10 back from my brother or in the spring when the summer car can come out again. i'll definatly take lots of pictures

9. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

Im 16 and i bought a welder and replaced my floors myself.

Its not really hard if your body mounts are in somewhat decent shape, if they arent, you can do what j did.

10. corradofreek

yeah, what are body mounts? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif gonna be alot of /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif and then some /forums/images/graemlins/grind.gif, then finish it off with /forums/images/graemlins/weld.gif

11. corradofreek

so i think today i am gonnna try to weld in a fake rocker panel for the driver side, as it is compltely missing and the seat rocks now. try to stiffen it up and make it through the winter. found i have another gas line leak (rusty lines) so i'm gonna patch in the Nylon 10mm line from the filter back, as i did the return line just like that. this is all after i finish sandblasting my dad's plow and put a coat of primer on it. let you guys know how it turns out