Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 K5 ignition key cylinder problem

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Alex 90 K5, Mar 31, 2007.

1. Alex 90 K5

Alex 90 K5 Registered Member

Ive run into a problem with my blazer, the key will only turn to start after messing with it for awhile. The keys are very worn, this just started today. Think it is possibly the key or the lock cylinder? How exactly do I get the lock cylinder out? It is a tilt steering wheel. Thanks in advance.

2. darkshadow

darkshadow 1 ton status

IF the key is worn down then the cyl is too, try redusing the size of you key ring.

it is not that hard to change the cly out, the tool you need are a stearing wheel puller, and a lock plate compressor, and some snap ring pliers.

these are all cheap tool might as well buy them when you get your new cly, Also a 4 way puller will work for removing the wheel too, and can be more usefull down the road.

after removing the lock plate there will be the signall switch blocking your way, remove the 3 philips screw and move it out of your way, you should be able to see the torx screw that holds in the cly, undo that ( a long handeled screw driver would work best) the cly should slide right out, and you can slide the new one right in

dave

3. Chrisblazzer89

Chrisblazzer89 1/2 ton status

This just happend to me. I just went to NAPA and got a new cylinder with keys for $14.60 and a steering wheel puller for $15.00 and bam I now have a new ignition:D 20Mins tops