Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 leak

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by 85Silverado, Apr 12, 2001.

1. 85Silverado

85Silverado Registered Member

Looking at a 90 Blazer and there's an oil leak coming down onto the starter. I know that's not to specific but could it be an easy/cheap fix or is it a worthwhile fix? It's not onto the ground yet. Also, there's oil sprayed onto the underside above the driveshaft. Bad news? Thanks for any and all help.

Todd

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My starter is pretty damn oily too, my dipstick leaks where it enters the block. As for the oil above the driveshaft, if its above the slip yoke then the seal may need replacing there (somewhat easy job) but most weep a little from that area.

Rene

[​IMG]<A target="_blank" HREF=http://jules.coloradok5.com>http://jules.coloradok5.com</A>

3. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

My 84 leaks from the slip yoke, I even replaced the seal but it still leaks. Not a problem though, just check the level of fluid a couple times per year.

Murphy's Laws on Life :
    "It is a mistake to allow any mechanical object to realize you are in a hurry."

4. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    Oil leaks are not a big problem. They are usually very cheap to fix, but can be time consuming. The one from the starter is probably just a valve cover although there is many other places it can be leaking from. The only engine oil seal that is hard to replace is the rear main seal. You usually have to drop the tranny unless it is a two piece. That takes an afternoon for most people. Other than that they usually take an hour or two to fix.

When all else fails... Check the blinker fluid.
    78 K-5