Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 or 91 K5

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ed Mancini, Jul 17, 2000.

1. Ed Mancini

Ed Mancini Newbie

Hi-

I am in the market for a 90 or 91 K5 Silverado and I was wondering if there are any specific engine, chassis or body problems that I should look out for.

Also, since I live in the Northeast, I would like feedback as to how the body on the 90 or 91 has faired in salty & snowy conditions. I've heard that the 1991 model went to a double galvinized body to help alleviate some of the rust issues.

Thanks.

2. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Make sure you check for rust but it sounds like you are already doing that, and make sure the frame isn't cracked at the steering box. Those are some of the main problems on K5s

90K5

3. MICHIGAN BLAZER

MICHIGAN BLAZER 1/2 ton status

Check the rockers, rear floorboards, front floorboards, tailgate, tailpan(bar that runs width of truck that gate hinges are attached to), the "box" shaped thing that you can see when looking in the rear fenders toward the front of the truck(actually part of floorboards), inner fenders.....but you are from the rust belt you should know all this already. Bring a magnet with you(a.k.a.bondo-meter) I thought my 89 was still in the fixable catagory...hahaha said old man winter. what part of "northeast" are you from?

<font color=red>MICHIGAN BLAZER
    <font color=green>89 Fullsize Blazer
    87 Cherokee
    65 IH Scout

4. PattBlue

PattBlue Registered Member

According to the Technical section of this site...which lists all the specs of Blazer..GM started Double Sided- Double Galvanized Ext sheet metal in 90..Hope this helps. I live in Erie, PA..Love that Lake Effect snow.