Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 sub "dw" like shake when braking

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by basketcase, May 28, 2005.

1. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

My 90 v1500 sub has a death wobble like shake sometimes when braking. sometimes it won't happen for weeks sometimes shakes all day all day. the truck has 4" tuff country springs in front and blocks in rear. It doesn't feel like warped rotors to me, feels alot "looser" to me. I'm kind of a newbie and could use any help looking in the right direction. :confused:

2. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

i'd check almost every bolt from the frame to the ground..
    Lug nuts, wheel bearings, steering knucles, tie-rod/drag link, steering box mounts (& nearby frame for cracks), rag joint, spring mount/shackles, etc.

To me that 'wiggle-wiggle' when braking (or steering) is un-nerving!

3. basketcase

yeah, unnerving dosent come close, it scares this crap out of me. I retorqued all the lugs, they arent it. i've tried to look for cracks by the box, but i dont know what i am looking for. anyone have before and after pics? been planning to get the bolt in brace if there arent any cracks and both if there are. only reason it isnt fixed yet is i only drive it about 10 miles a week and it doesnt always do it. i also thought it could be it the wheel bearings?

4. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

:grin: PLEASE DO THIS BEFORE DRIVING WHERE MY WIFE DRIVES!!!!!!!! :grin:

5. SUPER'BURB

SUPER'BURB 1/2 ton status

From what I've seen alot of the frame cracks are not visable till the box is off.

The bearings are a thought :thinking:
    We had a similar prob. with my dads truck, lift your rig and try to shake the tire (while torqued tight), this area should be quite tight. If there is play change them, it made a big differance for us.

6. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

Do what superburb said. jack the truck up and try to physically mover the tires in and out while they are still torqued onto the truck. If they move in and out (I usually put my hands at about the 12 and 6 o clock positions on the tire and press violently back and forth looking for movement), then you need new wheel bearings. If thats not it, take the tires off and inspect the rotors. I know that warped rotors can cause a bad death wobble like feeling when braking. Chances are that your rotors are probably warped. I think they are like $20 a piece at autozone.
    -Harrison

7. basketcase

thanks for the help everyone. swapped the rotors pads calipers hoses and bearings today and wobble is gone!! i guess @ 163k it was time and i didn't feel like doing it more than once. all the help here makes the$25 a year here more than worth it, thanks again! :D

8. down4thakrown

down4thakrown 1/2 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

also somthing you might wanna try is have some one turn the wheel while its runnin and you watch the front axle to see if the ubolts are loose causing the front axle slide on the frt springs. i did it when i first got my blazer and holy cow i cant beleive it didnt feel as bad as it looked :eek1:

9. basketcase

i'll check that out tomorrow