Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 Suburban 454 Problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by hapytmz72, Sep 19, 2004.

1. hapytmz72

hapytmz72 Newbie

Wondering if anyone has had similar problems. Replaced oil pump,new head gaskets....and the list goes on. The problem is that it runs for about five minutes fine , then just shuts down like its locked up. Heard of converter plug can cause this. Looking for more opinions before i yank it.

2. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

It could be an oil pressure sending unit. The one that does NOT look like a bell is the one for the computer I believe, and if it doesnt tell the computer the engine has oil pressure it will shut the motor down.

3. jac6695

jac6695 1/2 ton status

Welcome to CK5!

Does the engine crank over at all after it shuts off? If so, is the battery fully charged? How long do you have to wait before the engine will crank again?

Just an FYI, the oil pressure switch the other person referred to is wired in parellel with the fuel pump relay and will allow the engine to run if the relay fails.

4. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Yeh but I was thinking of perhaps some, for lack of a better terms, gunk plugging it.

Something else I thought of, does it seem like after those 5 mins it starts flooding out before it dies? Like if you work the gas can you keep it running? If so might be the IAC, or could be temp sensor in the manifold. Have you checked for codes in the computer yet?