Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 suburban tbi motor

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by crash81, Oct 3, 2005.

1. crash81

crash81 1/2 ton status

what do you guy run in your suburbans with the tbi? i need more power and torque. it has a stock 350 tbi in it now. is a 383 a option that will work or is something out there better? i want to keep the tbi . thanks in advance.

Dudley

2. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

If you are going to do much with a TBI, you're going to have to get acquainted with chip burning. Lots of info by searching here (takes some work to dig through) or Third Gen.

Basically, you can't do much without the stock chip fighting you. 383 ci, anything more than a mild "compu cam" (computer friendly cam), and other very mild upgrades like headers (which I hate personally) will be at least somewhat minimized in benefit by the stock ECM, or may even result in lost power and mileage. Even after market ECM "chips" are really not much help since most do nothing but crank up the timing a bit. You really need new data maps specific to the engine you build. My current K5 motor is on the ragged edge of what the stock ECM can deal with, and I'm not going to get the full benefit of the parts/work, so I'll be making a foray into chip burning sometime in the near future.

3. blazerguy 90

blazerguy 90 1/2 ton status

To bad your not closer to me, I have an 88 suburban with a TBI 454 that im trying to dispose of for free to anyone that wants it, but nobody wants it. the only problem is that I don`t have any paper work for it. it would be good for parts though, the only problem it has is the transmission is shot.

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Where are you located? :rolleyes:

5. blazerguy 90

Im in EL Sobrante california.

6. BadDog

BadDog SOL Staff Member Super Moderator Author

I would love to have the TB and adapter from it. Let me know if you're willing to ship...

7. blazerguy 90

I need to dispose of the whole vehicle because im moving soon, I can`t part it out, if I had a place to put it I would be using it for parts myself, I would love to put the 454 in my 90 blazer, but no time and no place to work on my blazer but my drive way.

8. TX_GLADIATOR

TX_GLADIATOR Registered Member

So Then The Motor Runs Man For Free That Sux's 3.20 A Gal. For Diesle I Would Go Get It Just For A Extra 454. For My Son's Rigg I Just Built A 454

9. blazerguy 90

The motor runs good, transmission is toast, and like I said, anyone that can come and get it can haver it for free, or if you have something I can use in trade for it (like an axle or something), if not, either way the suburban is still free. I don`t have any paper work for it, so it would be a good parts vehicle.
    it has power windows, front and rear a/c (needs recharged) heater core is bad (bypassed), interior is in good shape, front seats need to be recovered but are in good shape.

10. crash81

crash81 1/2 ton status

11. Scooter

Scooter 1/2 ton status

when we rebuilt the engine in my 87, we just did a basic build up. Bored the cylinders about .040", balanced the entire rotating assembly (to within 2/10 of a gram), we used the edelbrock tbi cam/intake combo and headers, messed with the cam timiing (I think its about 4* retarded), etc. I don't know exactly how much power it actually puts to the ground but it has a ton of torque and moves the Blazer very nicely. It doesn't do too bad on road trips, pulls about 15mpg at a steady cruise on the highway (about 70-ish mph), but the around town milage is horrid (easily single digits).

12. The Butcher

The Butcher 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Is it a 4x4 sub? 1/2 or 3/4 ton? I'm in Texas but would like the 454 for my '90 Blazer. Might be worth having someone haul it to Houston for me. Thanks.

13. blazerguy 90

Its a 3/4 ton 2 wheel drive suburban. I wanted to keep the motor for my 90 Blazer, but im moving in a few months and have no place to keep the sub until I have time to do the work, so it has to go.

14. The Butcher

Does it have a 14ff rear-end?

15. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

Blazerguy 90,

I can't send you e-mails or PMs, so, I'll have to high jack this post (one more time!)

I've got a buddy who wants to rebody his 74 Suburban with a later model (87 to 91). If the truck is in better condition than his, he'll take the entire thing and he doesn't need papers. We're in San Francisco (about 45 min. away if no traffic) and can come see it, but tell me about the body first. Dents, rust?

He has a flat bed tow truck too.

Also, why no papers?

Thanks,

Eric M.

eric@manon.com
    415 587 5679
    415 509 1993

16. blazerguy 90

Eric M.

There is about a 6'' long dent in the right rear door, it would be easy to fix, also above the same door were the roof meets the side body panel there is a little rust, not real bad (about 3''s square), the rear bumper also has some dents. all in all what little repair the body needs is very minor for a vehicle this old, the clear coat on the paint is also peeling off.

As for why no paper work, the old guy that gave me the suburban gave me all the paper work for it, so when I went to DMV to register it in my name they couldn`t do it because after he paid it off he never got the pink slip and never had the lien holders name taken off the registration, so DMV gave me a bunch of paper work to have the old owner fill out, but he is gone (moved away) and I have no way to get a hold of him to fix this problem. thats why im giving it away for a parts vehicle. other than needing to be repainted and a transmission its in good condition.

If you have anymore questions you can email directly

email - ljb48@sbcglobal.net

Larry.

17. The Butcher

Damn Eric, don't you guys have enough trucks? :p:

This is Michael from Houston that emailed you awhile back about all the details on your wheels for your dually. I'm still waiting on Weld to make those damn 16x10 dually rims!!!!

Blazerguy, sounds like Eric and his buddy will get the 'burb from you, but if not let me know b/c it might be worth it for me to have it shipped here if it has a 14 bolt and the 454. If it is just a 12 bolt rear, then I'm probably not as interested. Thanks.

18. blazerguy 90

I think the rear axle is a D60.

19. jays68yak

jays68yak 1/2 ton status

Dude I'll take it if Eric doesnt want it. The whole burb that is. Im only about 30 mins from you.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2005
  20. Eric M.

Eric M. 1/2 ton status

But technically, this wouldn't be adding to the fleet, just improving it! Good luck with those Weld 16 x 10 dually rims, you could be waiting a long time!

Eric M.