Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'90 TBI - roller lifters???!!!!????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by heavy4x4, Apr 9, 2003.

1. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

\'90 TBI - roller lifters???!!!!????

Hey, quick question, I just read;
    [ QUOTE ]
    On 1987 and newer applications, the hydraulic roller lifter camshaft is optimized for maximum performance

[/ QUOTE ] on the GMgoodwrench website.

Well, what gives? I always thought my engine was a hydraulic flat tappet cam/lifter deal...not a roller lifter application. Can anybody clarify? /forums/images/graemlins/ears.gif

2. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Re: \'90 TBI - roller lifters???!!!!????

its not wrong 87 and up are that way. My buddy put a 91 Caprice 305 in his 90 Astro Minivan and that was this way.

3. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Ok, well I'm almost positive my truck doesn't have roller lifters. Maybe this is talking about the 350's you find in the cars and vette's. /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

4. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Yeah, that was pretty much the case...the blocks were the same as cars, but the truck castings weren't equipped with roller lifters until later.

Should be an easy retrofit, just need the roller cam/lifters/links/pushrods/and cam button(? on pushrods and cam button, assuming) from a car, tap the holes in the block for the lifter "retainer" piece, and you are good to go.

5. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Well, I was actually hoping to have the hydraulic flat tappet (actually knew that's what I had, but was wondering why GMgoodwrench says otherwise) because I've already got a cam/lifter combo in mind that I want to swap in this summer. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif Thanks for the clarification.

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

some reason I seem to think its roller rocker arms not lifters.

7. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

The rocker arms that came stock on the TBI's are a plain stamped steel...no roller tips.

8. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

ah well you know what you have and what you want so sit back be happy and do what you got to do /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

9. Swanson52

Swanson52 1/2 ton status

My 92 truck TBI motor was equipped with the flat tappet cam and lifters, but the lifter valley has the tapped bosses for the GM 'spider' to hold the roller lifters in place. Gotta love GM!!

10. dyeager535

[ QUOTE ]
    ecause I've already got a cam/lifter combo in mind that I want to swap in this summer.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just for fun, take a look at all the GM roller cams that pop up on ebay. Can't think of any reason not to get a roller setup if your block is setup for it, the roller sets go CHEAP (compared to retrofit garbage).

Of course, the GM stuff wasn't very aggressive, but most of the cams were made to produce an extremely flat (and high) torque curve. Just an idea, since you aren't in a huge hurry doesn't sound like.

11. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks for the tip...what would it take to put in a roller cam and lifters? Block modifications, or is it just a "put the cam and lifters in and go" type deal?

12. dyeager535

Thats it. Since the block is the same as the roller ones, you just tap (or maybe even not have to do that) the holes for the retainer and drop everything else in. (using GM parts of course)

The GM parts are good stuff.

13. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Thanks, I'll look into that.
    I'm guessing the cam profiles are different for roller cams, like the duration is different because of the way the lobes are shaped? Should I just go with a stock replacement, or does anyone have some part numbers for a semi-performance roller cam that will work for me (or has anyone done this /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif)? Thanks

14. dyeager535

Yes,the duration, lobe seperation, etc.

Most are quite low on lift, but they make tons of torque.

There were quite a few Camaro grinds out for the various years, because of the Carb/TBI/TPI setups available all the different years (starting in '85) but the later they got, the more aggressive the cams are, generally.

Of course, better heads help in this situation, so that's something else to consider. Some AL L98 heads perhaps? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

15. 4X4HIGH

4X4HIGH 1 ton status Premium Member GMOTM Winner

Don't forget about billet roller cams using different distributor gears than non billet cams. Some GM cams had a pressed on powdered metal gear that is compatable with the standard distributor gear.

16. heavy4x4

heavy4x4 1/2 ton status

Hmm, with recommended head work and the distributor gear difference, I'm thinking rollercam isn't the way to go for me. I like simplicity, so I think I'll just do it like everyone else does when the time comes...mild performance replacement cam.
    Thanks for all the help - you learn something new every day...and that's the truth. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

17. dyeager535

Nah, you don't need to worry about that stuff. OEM roller cams use the same distributor gear they always have. It's the aftermarket (once again) that sometimes requires goofy parts /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Heads aren't necessary, I was just using that as a "mightaswell"..can't complain about 30-40 "free" horsepower can you? Then again, if you start talking Vortecs, then you are talking new intake, and it just never ends until you have a brand new motor!

18. 95 Silverado

95 Silverado 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure what determines what's roller and whats flat tappet. I disassembled two full-size truck engines, an '89 and a '90, both TBI motors and they were flat tappet engines, I just had two '88 S-10 4.3 engines apart, both TBI also, they were both roller cam engines.

19. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

The 4.3's came with roller lifter years before truck 350's did. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif My '91 S-Jimmy has the 4.3 with roller lifters. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Too bad GM put such a weak sister roller cam in it though. /forums/images/graemlins/frown.gif That thing falls flat on its face at around 3,900 RPM, yet GM programmed the tranny to upshift at about 4,400 RPM at wide-open-throttle. What WERE they thinking? /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Meanwhile, my '87 'vette 350 came from with the factory roller cam. I'm taking apart a TBI 350 right now that supposedly came from a '91 "something". Not sure what the original app was, but it's got the factory roller cam in it. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

20. dyeager535

It's years and application. Cars (and apparently 4.3's, they were vortec before the V8's too) got roller cams much sooner than trucks.