Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'90 Tranny swap (help!)

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Greg, Dec 11, 2001.

1. Greg

Greg Registered Member

\'90 Tranny swap (help!)

Hey guys,
    I've got a '90 k5 that I switched out a muncie 465 manual (4spd) for an auto 700R. Problem I have is the link up to the rest of the drive line. I can't use the standard Gm adaptors to connect my new 700R to the stock NP241 transfer case because the splines don't match up. ( Automatics have more spine count and smaller splines as opposed to the manuals fewer and much larger splines.) A new(er) transfer case from the junkyard is @500bucks!! Is there such thing as a rebuild kit for a NP241 Transfer case? Is it possible (or worth it) to replace the manual spline shaft in the transfer to an automatic one? Once I do this; either replace the shaft or the whole case; can the original (manual) driveshaft still be used or will the splines be different on this as well?
    Please help!
    This is turning into a bigger pain in the ass than I had anticipated. I'm already way over budget too.
    Any suggestions will be appreciated!
    Thanks.
    Greg Chezem

2. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Re: \'90 Tranny swap (help!)

Greg I can help you out with the budget thing perhaps, I need the clutch stuff off that Sm465 if you still have it. Can't help with the other stuff, I would never have even considered that swap. If I were you, and you have the SM465 still around, put it back in, and sell the 700.

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    Why insist on counting when the ring gear has the tooth counts stamped in?

3. zakk

zakk 1/2 ton status

Please fill out your profile...this message will repeat in...

-zakk

'77 1-Ton K5

[​IMG] CK5's MOAB 2002 OR BUST!! [​IMG]

4. Leadfoot

Leadfoot 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Are you sure it's a 241? I not saying it's not, but click here<P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Leadfoot on 12/12/01 07:20 AM.</FONT></P>

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

The 241 behind the SM465 would be 32 spline. The 700R-4 would be a 27 spline output. You would need to swap input gears in your 241 to make this swap work as well as find the correct adaptor.

I would also keep the SM465/241 combo and sell the 700R-4 for several reasons. Strength, reliability and crawl ratio. IMHO you are removing the strongest most reliable part of your truck and replacing it with a weak, somewhat failure prone, expensive slushbox. 700R-4 and budget are not normally uttered in the same breath.

Good luck

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/project_T2> tRusty pics...</a>