Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90 v1500 steering shake

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by basketcase, May 1, 2005.

1. basketcase

basketcase Registered Member

HI everybody, i just joined the board last night. lots of good info.

I have a 90 v1500 sub with a 4" tuff country lift 33" radials with 166k on the truck. when braking the truck has a violent shake from side to side. It does not feel like just pulsing rotors, much more severe. Also wile rolling the truck is making a high pitched squeeking noise that changes with speed. that noise goes away when braking. the truck doesn't shake every stop, but often enough that it is scary/annoying. I was kind of thinking wheel bearings, any other ideas? P.s how hard is taking the hubs apart, never done this b4, kind of chicken. :blush:

2. 73k5blazer

73k5blazer Unplug the matrix cable from the back of your head Premium Member

I'd still think it's the brakes. They can shake the daylights out of you. Wheel bearings would be loose and wander all the time, not just while braking.

Anyhow, the rotors and hubs are all one piece (ok two piece press together), so you need pull out the bearings anyhow to get the rotors off, just do it all at once. repak your bearings, turn/replace rotors (if it's shaking that bad they probably need replaced, not ver expensive for these trucks. I'd stay away from the china rotors, they warp pretty quickly, I like raybestos rotors. It's not a hard job.