Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9000 FRIGGIN' Dollars!!!!!!!!!????????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Can Can, Apr 20, 2000.

1. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

9000 FRIGGIN\' Dollars!!!!!!!!!????????

I went to a few different body shops today to get some estimates on the cost of painting my 84. One shop tried to tell me that with a little rust removal, a new hood and fender skirts, and a repaint would cost me $9000 CDN. Can you friggin' believe it? A couple other shops came in closer to $5000, which is still expensive but may be do-able. I think too many of these shops are used to big insurance money paying the bills. Anyway, just letting off a little steam.........

P.S. Anyone want to come up to the lovely Canadian Rockies and paint my truck?

2. Burt4x4

Burt4x4 3/4 ton status

Re: 9000 FRIGGIN\' Dollars!!!!!!!!!????????

What is that in US dollors?
    seems like allot of money for body and paint work!!
    after that much you would be scared to take it in the mud or on the trail![​IMG]

Rock ON![​IMG] 72 K5 [​IMG]

3. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

When I got rearended, the ladies insurance told me to get my 3 est. and she would cut a check.
    1st Place $5000...
    2nd Place $5250...
    3rd Place $7200...

This was to straigten out the rear quarter, paint just the corner, new rear bumper, and new tailpipe. I couldn't believe how much these places were charging. AND IT WASN'T EVEN MY MONEY I WAS PLAYING WITH.

Took my truck across the street to a friend of mines body shop, he laughed at the price and said for that kind of money he would cut the rust out of ALL of the truck, put new panels in, and paint the WHOLE thing with money left over. Needless to say I got the high estimate and then handed him the money and the keys.

Blew my mind. It's times like that though I wish I could do bodywork myself but was DAMN thankful I had friends.

Kyle
    89K5

4. mico85K5

mico85K5 Registered Member

my answer was painting (rolling on) 2 gallons of bedliner-yes the whole truck!

$85.00 later I'm getting a lot "That's so cool!" looks
    (How much did I really want to spend on a paint job that I'm just goin to go back out scratch up on the first tree I "accidentally" bump off-road)

Driving your blazer=FUN!

5. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

You crazy cannuk....

My blazer is black with the silver down the sides, yep the same silver you see peeling off everywhere. So I got some sandpaper and sanded it all down, borrowed a friends wagner power sprayer, paid 74.00 (US) for the paint and hardener, it was silver metallic, poured in 8 ounces of paint, three ounces of hardener and shot it myself. I was really surprised , it came out well. Moral of story...just do it yourself, so what if you make a mistake, that is what sandpaper is for. Oh forgot to tell you, I went through 2 quarts of paint, the first ran so bad it looked like a Blazer accordian. But I made my mistakes and learned. I will never go to a body shop now. This summer I am buying a mig welder and 200.00 worth of panels from J.C. Whitney and am going to replace all the rust and learn how to weld in the process. Give it a try man...nothing else I can take a holiday and visit the family in Calgary and stop by and help...[​IMG]

[​IMG]<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Still the only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

So I check Eagle's profile, and I see it's empty. But he knows that Canmore is close to Calgary.........So, who are you and where are you from? If you're close by and haven't told me yet, you're in BIG TROUBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW, I have the same color scheme as you- black/gray insert

7. Shawn

Shawn 1/2 ton status Premium Member Author

I was calling on big block heads last week and I happen to call a race shop here in Denver (Madcap Racing). I asked if they had some heads. The said yes but they are for race only. Just out of curiousity, I had to ask how much. They told me $9000! GOOD LORD! I could buy 2 ram jet engines with that! BTW- That was US currency.

My paint job cost $2500 which isn't to bad for what they did. They did strip all the paint/primer down to the bare metal. I guess GM's primer was causing a bad reaction with the paint and causing it to peel/flake off. You might want to make sure they strip it bare. I have some pics. Looks like a Delorian... Give me a clear coat!

Shawn
    <font color=blue>87 K5</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>454, 6", D60, 14 blt, 465, 205</font color=red>
    www.off-road.com

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

You have to find a body shop that is interested in doing rust repair and resto work. Most of them only want to do insurance work (easy $ for poor quality work).

Tim

1970 Blazer CST 4X4 350 SM465 NP205
    1987 Suburban 4X4 350
    1988 Chevy Pickup 4X4 350

9. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey Hoser!
    So what color is your igloo? Did ya paint the snow sled to match? Do ya get Molson up there? Or Labatts? Ah what I would give for a 50 and a Cameo...

10. Toad

Toad 1/2 ton status

If I had to pay $9000 I think I'd do these things with my money instead.

1. Buy a new ride.
    2. Get my wife a boob job. (Not that she needs one, but 4 boobs might not be to bad)
    3. Add on to my garage.
    4. Give some to charity.
    5. Buy one hell of an engine and suspension lift.
    6. Finish my basement.
    7. Invest
    8. Buy one hell of an engine and suspension lift. (I know)
    9. Buy everyone here the beverage of their choice.
    10. Fill up my gas tank. Floor it for a mile. Turn around and fill up my gas tank agian. Floor it for a mile. Turn etc....
    (11) I'd figure out how to make meaning full posts.

11. White Knight

White Knight 1/2 ton status

For $4000 drive that thing down here to Texas I'll paint it, plus gas I figure you're ahead about $3000 and I make a whole butt-load of Bucks...Them folks north of the border seem to like their paint a whole lot, and are damn proud of it too!!!! WK [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]