Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9012 Setup Questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by dawson444, Jun 23, 2001.

1. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

1. On the front w/ the Ford mounts how should I figure out how far up to mount the Ford mount? Should I sit the truck level, bolt the shock to axle, bolt the other end of the shock to shock mount, extend the shock 1/2 way out and bolt it there? Or is there another way? I am going to be running 6" lift.
    2. On the rear how should I go about figuring out what angle to run the shocks at? Like how far apart the mounts should be? Should I just guess or what? Any tips?

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

88 K5, 4" lift, 33" BFG muds

2. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

I havent done it, but just to let you know, in case you havent seen it yet, Steve did a write-up on doing this set up on his "UAV". Its in the Product Review section under "Extended shock mounts..."
    BTW, did you ever get your wheels (BARTS)? How was the chroming, I hope not as horrible as mine was!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by 90blzr on 06/24/01 08:22 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

3. seattlek5

seattlek5 1/2 ton status

On the rear, try to get the angle of the shock as close to the angle of the front shock to keep the dampning equal. I set mine up exactly like Steve did and they work great. Don't forget to get longer brake lines.

4. thatK30guy

thatK30guy 1 ton status Premium Member

Here it is:

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml>http://coloradok5.com/ranchoreview.shtml</A>

<font color=red>I m so we Todd did.
    I m sofa king we Todd did.</font color=red>

5. 90blzr

90blzr 1/2 ton status

Yeah thats it!! (still dont know how to do that link crap!!)

6. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

I read the review, it still doesn't tell me how far up to mount the shocks, anyone know how to figure it out?

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

7. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

go ramp your truck somewhere, and take measurments. Hold a shock up there and make sure it's not going to bottom out either extended or compressed. Then fab some mounts.

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

8. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Is there any other good way to do it? My truck isn't moving right now and I want to go on and get these things on before it can move. Also there aren't any ramps around here.

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC

9. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Try this; jack it up and leave the frame on stands, you'll probably have to remove the tires to do this and figure out the setup this way.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

10. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

well you can use a forklift, front end loader, jack the front corner up till something lifts, anything. I have access to a front end loader and that's how i'm going to figure mine next week. You gotta figure every truck is going to be different so what works for someone else's might not work for yours. Different spring rates, ramp numbers, actual lift heights, ect could all contribute to this. HTH
    Bryan

Sherman, Tx
    <font color=red>Come Awn yall...Let's go to LUCHENBACH, TEXAS!!!
    </font color=red>

11. dawson444

dawson444 1/2 ton status

Ok I think I might know of a loading ramp I can ramp it on. The only problem I have is the only way I can ramp it is carefully drive it down there w/o shocks, but if I don't have shocks the brake lines for a 4" lift I have will be the limiting factor. I know they will barely be long enough even w/o the truck moving b/c I will have a 6" lift on there. Anyone got any suggestions? Thanks!

Dawson
    Raleigh, NC