Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90K5 113k 5000$ Okay?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by moe., Jan 23, 2001.

1. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Looking at buying another truck. This ones in nice shape. Blue/silver blue interior. Drove it around, runs and drives well. Has a small exhaust leak. Ticked at first when started up cold (30*), it went away after about 1/2 second. No rot on the body, slight stuff underneath, generally really well maintained by the way it looks.
    Engine looks clean. Has a valvoline quick lube sticker on the windshield (not overdue).
    Has all the typical options (lots). Its got 113k miles on it, and a small dealership wants 4995$.
    Opinions please??

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

2. 1990SilveradoK5

1990SilveradoK5 1/2 ton status

I just purchased a 90K5 with 125K for $4500, sounds like in similar shape. Everything works except the cruise control, and I had to replace the tail pipe. I have hade it just three weeks and I am very glad I made the purchase.
    Take a look at me in the Readers Ride section, truck is stock with some perty stuff added,visor, fender flairs, etc.

Gone Large and Loving It.
    Keith

3. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

Sounds like a pretty good deal...I'd never see a price that low here.

90K5

See my truck at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502>http://albums.photopoint.com/j/Albumindex?u=1329584&a=9886502</A>

4. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Since your profile shows that you live in the land of salted roads, go over that rig with a fine-toothed comb looking for rust repairs. Crawl underneath and look at the backside of the rocker panels and the floor, especially back by the tailgate. Check around the rear fender openings for ANY sign of bondo. I've never seen a bondo rust fix in that area hold up for more than a year. It bubbles and rusts again. If there's no sign of rust, then you may have found a sweet deal. But if they're asking $5K, tell 'em you can write a check for $4K. If they're hungry, they'll bite. [​IMG]

<font color=black>HarryH3 - '75 K5</font color=black>
    <A target="_blank" HREF=http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com>http://ThunderTruck.ColoradoK5.com</A>

5. Wallyb

Wallyb Registered Member

just thought I'd put my 2 cents in. I just bought a 90 full size about 2 weeks ago. 350 TBI w/156,000 miles on it. I know that's alot of miles, but the motor is strong! anyway, I paid $3300 for mine!! So glad I waited for the right one!!

6. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Heh, I was driving home from school tonight, and saw a '91 Jimmy. Black. real, real nice. Burgandy interior.
    Don't know how many miles, I'll check it out tomorrow. I think it's a '91, its got different mirrors then I'm used to seeing. They are black, and seem tighter on the bottom, kinda look smaller too. The underneath looks even better than the other one, and they want the same price for it. I'll take a look at that one too, take a pick of which is better.
    Thanks for the thoughts guys.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7

7. Mr Red

Mr Red 1/2 ton status

Just bought a '91 w/ 117K miles for $5,200. Didn't have time to see what part of rustbelt you live in but these thoughts come to mind:

1. Price sounds low for being sold off a dealer lot. Are they hiding something as the reason for the low price?

2. Like said earlier.... Check it real good for rust.

3. Unless you got money to burn, invest in $70-120 to have a competent mechanic look it over real good. Have 'em do a check of emissions and compare it to what it ought to be. Probably is ok since all computer stuff but if a sensor is bad, you don't want to be trying to chase that down right off the bat.

That said: 1986 K5 For Sale: 107K miles, D.C. area. Posi's front and rear, 4.56 gears, 4" susp. lift, shift kit, 35" BFG AT's, Trailmaster SSV's &lt;6 mos. old, radiator & heater core &lt; 2 years old. One rust spot on body. Asking price: $5,400. Email interest to dwhisman@excite.com. Put 86 K5 in subject line (this email gets lots of junk & I just delete 'em if I don't know anything about it).
    [​IMG]
    Happy Hunting & Good luck Moe
    [​IMG]
    <font color=red>David, '86 & '91 K5</font color=red>

8. KILLERK5

KILLERK5 1/2 ton status

I BOUGHT MY 88 WITH 84K MILES ON IT FOR $5300. NO RUST, AND PERFECT INTERIOR! I TALKED THE DEALER DOWN FROM $7900.

9. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I bought my 89 Jimmy SLE 3 yrs ago with 65K on the clock...Dark Blue/Med Blue Interior...Texas truck, hard loaded...all receipts and records....paid $5200....I've got about $5000 in lift, gears, grabbers, alloy axles, wheels, tires, Jet tranny kit, headers, exhaust....planning on another $4500 or so for a new motor maybe this summer.....I'm thinking you are looking to replace/repair the tranny and motor around 150K miles give or take a few K's.....I think the TBI 350 late model K5's are the best platform to build on for a good all round street/capable rig....I know I got a screamin' deal...I'd just look over the common rust areas mentioned in previous posts, and go with yer gut.....good luck....JD

I'm at 10th and Plum....10 miles from nowhere, and Plum out in the sticks....

10. Panther

Panther 1/2 ton status

Hey moe.

I bought a 90 last March in pretty good shape for 6000.

The things I wish I had known about it (that you should check).

The 90s had the bogus Chevy paint job. There was a recall for a few years but that is well past. If it hasn't started already and hasn't been repainted, it'll start to flake in spots, which get bigger and bigger and, you get the idea.

Mine has a bad valve seal. So it burns oil. You might wanna sniff the exhaust. The best way is to run it on the highway with the back and side windows open. It blows right through the cab.

Other than that, mine has been great. Those are just things you might wanna look for. They're not things that make the truck not run, but they are things that will cost $$ down the road.

Just some thoughts!!

<font color=blue>"It's just a differentialator....Totally unnecessary" [​IMG]</font color=blue>

11. moe.

moe. Registered Member

Thanks fellas. And about the paint job, both of them I'd say have been repainted. They look that good.
    I'll definately check them out real good. I got a call from the dealer with the 90, and I got the loan, and since the 91 is the same price, depending on mileage and all that, I might just tell him to go screw and get the 91. It's SOOO sweet, if I get it I'll make damn sure to get some pics up right quick :). It's all black and looks like its a mile deep. Body is super straight, dash pad has a crack down the center (no biggie).
    I wanna take a look at it during the day, but things have been so hectic lately. School, work. ugh, you get the point.

'75 Blazer blue/white
    350/350

87 Turbo Regal
    a few bolt-ons
    12.69@107.7