Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90K5 700r4 to SM465 whats involved?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Ryan B., Dec 12, 2002.

1. Ryan B.

Ryan B. 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

My friend has a '90 K5 with a TBI350/TH700r4/NP241
    We're looking at changing over to a SM465/205.
    Whats involved with this swap as far as hooking up the clutch linkage, and what would you do with wires from the PCM that go to the tranny? Is there just one wire for a lockup torque converter? Can ya just disconnect it and swap to a manual without any problems?
    I'm not that familiar with 2nd gens or 700r4's.

Thanks for the help. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

2. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

AFAIK you should be fine just disconecting the lines.
    As for the rest of the stuff it's all mechanical, you should be able to handle the details.
    Basicaly get the tranny with the clutch, flywheel pedal assembly (here you have to decide if you are going hydro then you will need a hydro bellhousing or go with hydro bearing)
    If you need anything else, I could help you.
    And by the way let mek know were you are throwing your 700/241. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
    Well OK if you will be selling I might be interested if the price is right. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Definitely go with hydraulic. WAIT until you can find one. The truck is already set up for it, no messing with the frame for the "transfer bar" no pivots to worry about. Pedal assembly and master cylinder bolt right in, the dimples for the master cylinder bolts are already there, you just have to drill them out.

I'm 99% sure you can disconnect the TCC with no codes, but you have a Park/Neutral switch in that truck that the ECM watches, and without the column moving to tell the ECM the truck is actually in gear/has a load on the engine, you'll have problems. AFAIK the cure is a manual trans PROM, but I'm not an expert in the ECM field. Searching on www.thirdgen.com should answer the park/neutral question.

Regardless of what some companies may try to foist on you, the park/neutral function is critical to proper ECM operation.

4. imiceman44

imiceman44 1 ton status

I can deal with that easy and cheap, don't change the column. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

5. dyeager535

Yeah, that might be a delay to a thief. "which shifter do I use, they both move!!" (and do something lol)

6. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Doesn't the 90 have a VSS as well? That might be hard to get around, especially with an older 205. I thought Steve Fox ran into this exact problem when he went TH400/203/205??? Maybe he'll see this and chime in?

Rene

7. dyeager535

VSS is there regardless of manual or auto, (cruise control even earlier without ECM's used it, but all ECM controlled GM vehicles have VSS) so shouldn't be an issue.

8. tRustyK5

Well it is an issue...what exactly would the guy plug the VSS into on an older 465/205 combo?? The 87-89 used a regular speedo cable, I believe 90 was the first year for the electronic speedo and VSS

Rene

9. dyeager535

Yeah your right, forgetting about the year break for the cable/electric speedo's.

Where's the VSS? I'm guessing its on the transfer case, and since I haven't been able to get ahold of an electric speedo "sender" setup, I'm not sure how they work.

From what others have said with the electric speedos, the gear changes/tire changes can be handled (at least somewhat) in the gauge cluster. If thats the case, the VSS must be on the t-case, and is basically a generator as I can tell. I would *guess* (and thats an educated guess at the whole system, I have no manual that new) the higher the output shaft RPM, the higher the voltage generated, the dip switches in the cluster being what regulates how the voltage is "interpreted".

So...if the VSS setup is just a gear driven generator, I'd hope it would just bolt up to the 205.

If not, worst case, believe you can get aftermarket VSS setups for the tranny/t-case.

10. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

You can contact Donovan on here for that problem. He machines the tailshaft housing to accept the 241's VSS. He also gets a new toner ring for a 241 and machines it to fit the 205 tailshaft.

11. tRustyK5

Thanks Ash...I knew there was a solution to the problem. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

Rene

12. BigOrange90Jimmy

BigOrange90Jimmy 1/2 ton status Premium Member

True that. It's also comforting to know that his setup works and that you're not buying all of this electronic crap that "might" work.

13. Yuba K5

Yuba K5 Registered Member

this is an easy swap i did it to my 90 k5. everything is set up to bolt right in. there are two holes in the frame already for the linkage(opposite of the bellhousing)to bolt onto.on the floorboard there are three little divets. the center one is for the pilot bit of your holesaw this is for the rod that goes from your clutch pedal(the other two are for the screws that hold the rubber boot in place).if you are gonna do this you need the linkage,tranny,tcase,pedal assembly,bell housing,and the center hump in the floorboard between the seats.this will probably unbolt from the donor truck,but the m-f-er is in the 90 model this same piece is gonna be spotwelded in and you have to swap them for the shifters to be in the right place.