Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

90's and 45's...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by laketex, Nov 12, 2000.

1. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

90\'s and 45\'s...

Why can't I make a rollcage using all 90 and 45 degree elbows, welding them in place. Back in the days of 60's stock car racing, that's what they used to do and from talking to some folks, held up fine. It sure would be cheaper, maybe not quite as stylish, but being a pure function man, what's the harm in this?

[​IMG]

2. k5king

k5king 1/2 ton status

Re: 90\'s and 45\'s...

if you are using square tubing then yes you can BUT you really need to brace it well!!!!and that means the entire cage!!!with square tubing you need a lot more cross bracing than you do with tubular chrome moly...anything that's flat will crush easier than a round shape will..if your really into offroading then i'd say get a cage made with moly,,if ya just want a little extra protection then use the square stuff,,,i guess anything is better than nothing at all huh??

ANYBODY LOSE THEIR JEEP????????[​IMG]
    I JUST FOUND ONE UNDER MY BLAZER!!!![​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Uhhh...maybe I'm reading this wrong but I thought Laketex was talking about 45 and 90 dgree pipe elbows as an alternative to having to use a pipe bender.
    If so my first thought would be that its going to be way more welding. Also the quality of the welding better be real good, the last thing you need is a weld to let go in a roll-over. Good joint preparation for each elbow to pipe section will be a must.
    They also make 22.5 degree sections, 30 degree, etc., you are not limited to 45 or 90.
    Just some thoughts.

Rene

[​IMG]

4. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

yep tRusty, pipe elbows. I couldn't live with myself if I used square tubing. haha. Are elbows also available for tubing? I bet someone has them for us poor boys building cages. I've heard all my four wheeling life that tubing was what ya use on a cage, and not pipe but nobody had a good reason. Pipe is STOUT. Why not use it? Seems like it would be overbuilt and a tad heavy but that's ok. The weld quality is something that is not an issue since I work with some of the best in the business. A case of beer (after the welding) and I should be set. [​IMG]

Actually too, it wouldn't take too many 90's to make it work...Maybe about 10. If it would save ya a few hundred bucks and still be as stout, I can't see the harm in it. What do yall think?

Bryan

[​IMG]

5. tRustyK5

Quite honestly a cage is made to work well once and hopefully never at all. Tubing is probably the best way to go, but there are a lot of differences in tubing as well. Pipe is pretty strong, a lot stronger than a 'Bed Bar' some guys try and pass off as a roll bar. Its also stronger than muffler pipe (bad choice for a roll cage). I guess the main drawback would be weight.
    1 3/4" sched. 40 pipe has a wall thickness of approx 3/16" and should stand up pretty well. Remember when ordering pipe, its measured I.D., so for example 1 3/4" pipe (sched 40) would be approximately 2 1/8" outside diameter. I've been toying with doing this as well. Can you tell?[​IMG]

Rene

[​IMG]

6. Grim-Reaper

Grim-Reaper 3/4 ton status Author

My bud and I just made a cage using a cheap bender from Harbor. He figured out a few tricks and it worked well. Now if your wanting to stay tight to the outside then 45's and 90's are not even going to be close. To make the bend at the windsheild we had to make a 70 deg with a 10 deg kick just befor the dash to hit the floor in the right spot. On the real legs we had to make a 60 deg to get the shape I was after with a 15 deg kick to hit the floor in the right spot. My truck had a factory hoop so that saved us a lot of trouble. I'll have some pics up in the next couple weeks on my site.
    Here are 2 of the major tricks he figured out to make that bender do the job. Where the rollers go you need to use some half round peices so it doesn't get dent's/ The you don't bend in one shot. You mark where you want the radius of the curve then mark at 1 and 2 inches out on either side. Bend in stages from the outside in and the bend comes out much better. It will take 5 small equal bends to get to your final shape.

Diging it in the dirt with my K5's
    Grim-Reaper
    http://grimsk5s.coloradok5.com/

7. Michael

Michael 1/2 ton status

Hey Bryan, I thought you had access to a tubing bender.......if so tubing is pretty cheap (as you know) more so than buying fittings. I've done a lot of bending, if you can get a bender, I'll come help........then maybe I can use it....he he. Gotta love "Mad Max"!!

Michael [​IMG] http://jmartin.net/parker/goose.htm

8. laketex

laketex 3/4 ton status

Yeah the more I think about it, that might not work. Cause the type of cage I want to do, the elbows might not work... I want to go behind the dash if at all possible. And that will take some tight bend allowances. Just tossing ideas around here. Trying to get the overall image of my bumpers/ cage/ external front cage before I start. They'll all work integrally with the other. Thanks for the input guys.

Bryan

[​IMG]

9. tRustyK5

Don't know if it helps, but they do make 'close' 45's and 90's etc. These are just a tighter radius elbow. As Grim pointed out though, its just going to add to the overall cost and might be hard to get the exact angles you're looking for.

Rene

[​IMG]

10. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I recall reading somewhere that pipe shouldn't be used because it has a seam in it, and under a rollover-type load it will likely split. POOF-there goes your structural integrity. Don't know if this is true, but I did want to throw it out there.

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!

11. baldbandit

baldbandit 1/2 ton status

I'm a pipefitter by trade and I don't see where there would be a problem with strength. I feel that the pipe would actually be stronger. Think about it! Your nerf bars are made from a light weight pipe, not tubing. And as for the odd degrees, you can cut a 90 degree pipe fitting to any degree you want. A 45 would be half of the fitting. A 22.5 degree would be a quarter of the fitting and so forth and so on.

baldbandit