Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Bad Rear End?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by babyramon, Feb 8, 2006.

1. babyramon

babyramon Newbie

Whats up guys, there is a 91 k5 that I am looking at buying for $1,500. The guy says it has a bad wheel bearing on the LR. Said it got hot and started smoking from that wheel. He let it sit and towed it home the next day. He started working on it, tried to take the bearing out but it broke and the outer ring stayed stuck in there because he didn't have the right tools. He ended up moving and drove the truck with out the bearing slowly to the new house with only the frt.wheels took rear drive shaft off. He doesn't have the money or the tools to fix the truck and is getting married so he is selling it. I am wondering if there could be alot more wrong with the rear end than just a bearing. and if so how much am I looking at spending to get this thing going. Basically I want to know if it is worth $1,500 plus whatever might be wrong with the rearend. It is a 91 chevy K5 350 TBI with a 4'' lift and brand new 35''s.

Right now the truck sits without the rear drive shaft and without the spider gears I guess he was taking it apart to get the axle out to replace the bearing.

2. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

What part of Texas is it in? What is the rest of the truck like? Do you know the gearing? You can find a replacement rear around dallas fof $100-300. I am wondering if it doesn't have a engine, tranny or tcase problem that he is trying to hide.

3. babyramon

babyramon Newbie

I am down in Kingsville by Corpus Christi. The truck turns on fine but that is about it. Since that bearing is bad It cant be driven to really check out tranny, tcase, ft end, 4x4. that is way I am not sure if i should get into it. Also I am not sure on the gearing I guess it is stock. How can I tell what stock gears are by the vin.

4. trailblazr81

trailblazr81 1/2 ton status

Get a replacement axle from boneyard. Hell might as well grab axles off a K20. Not too hard to find a 3/4 ton with 4.10's!! :waytogo:

5. goldwing2000

goldwing2000 Guest

It might just need the bearing. No sense conjecturing until you dig into it.

10- and 12-bolt rears are a dime a dozen. If you're going to replace it, might as well uprade to a 14bff.

6. Leper

Leper 1/2 ton status

Basically, if the body, interior, and engine are good, buy it and go get a bearing or another rear.

7. Guss

Guss Registered Member

slide hammer will pull the race out.... bought mine the same way and runs great after a tune up. had 120k on it now has 125k so go for it. only spent $100 on new bearings cause the pinion seal was bad and he filled the rear with water.

8. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

kingsville ? i live 30 minutes from corpus maybve ive seen this blazer i might even know the guy wats color and all is it?

9. babyramon

babyramon Newbie

It is red with white top and white designs on side. almost like flames but straight.

10. chvymudin3388

chvymudin3388 1/2 ton status

scallops u mean? i dont think i kno it sounds sweet i have had my k5 for like 5 months and ive had to replace power steering hose and tranny and alot of distributor parts and the paint isnt shiny ne more the jerk sprayed shiny crap all over it now i hope its good to go i hope ur luck isnt like mine more than likley its just a wheel bearing