Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Blazer all of sudden wont start?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Piranha300, Sep 19, 2001.

1. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

It didnt show any sign of anything wrong until yesterday morning when it wouldnt start? It has spark. Would a bad fuel pump show signs of going bad before it quits? Is there a relay fuse or something that might have got tripped? Any info would be greatly appreciated! Thanks

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

My friends 89 GMC pick-up just quit when his fuel pump went bad...

Rene

<font color=green>Dyslexics of the world...UNTIE!</font color=green>

3. Pugsley

Pugsley 1/2 ton status

I'm not sure if there's an inertia switch on GM's, or where it's located, but my F150 would trigger it for no apparent reason and shut off the fuel pump once in a while. Barring that, I'd guess the fuel pump died.

Special thanks to those lost from IAFF Locals 94 and 854 - You shall never be forgotten
    <a target="_blank" href=http://pugsley.alloffroad.com>pugsley.alloffroad.com</a>

4. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

The fuel pump won't show any signs. It'll just die. Well, at least mine did on my 89. I'd start with the filter first though, it's easier to pull and change. If it is the pump, you'll prb. need to change the filter anyway after you drop the tank. Crud sometimes starts floating after a pump change and can clog a filter pretty quick.

Have a buddy turn the key on while you are stnading out back, you should hear the pump start up if it is working.

HTH

Kyle
    89K5

5. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Dump a bit of fuel down the intake and turn it over, if it starts for a moment, you've got a fuel delivery problem.

What, Me Worry?
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.echobit.com:81/k5/> The 'BEFORE' pictures</a>

6. testosterone

testosterone Registered Member

do any of the electrics work?? check the fuse in the top riht cornor of the fuse box, mine blew once and the motor kept spinning but wouldn't turn over..

7. Piranha300

Piranha300 Registered Member

Fuse box by your feet?

8. coopertwpk

coopertwpk 1/2 ton status

the oil pressure switch will also kill the fuel pump if it goes bad.

88k5 silverado w4"lift <font color=orange>d44 and corp14ff</font color=orange> with 4.11

9. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Have a buddy spray carb cleaner down the thoat while you crank it over...this is how i get dead GM's in the shop without pushing....lol.

Azblazer

1979 K5 350 TBI
    1976 K5 Chalet
    If it ain't got arizona pinstriping.....you ain't wheelin the pee outa her!

10. TwoCrowsDesign

TwoCrowsDesign 1/2 ton status

If your fuel pump is working you'll be able to hear it. Have someone turn the ignition on, but not crank it over, while you're back there listening. You will hear the pump start to whirr.

The first time mine failed, it just stopped. I was getting gassed up and when I was finished it wouldn't start. That was the pump.

The second time, it was a short in a wire that I was fortunate enough to find before dropping the tank, buying a new pump and all that craziness.

Then when I was putting it all back together after replacing the tail pan, I forgot to reattach the ground wire.

Good luck

John