Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Blazer Lift and axle question...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Aug 19, 2001.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Hey all. here goes...91 K1500, 350, stright axle. my stock springs are wooped and i'm about to go to 32" or 33" muds but don't know which lift i should go with. I was told (on this board about a week ago) I should only need 2-3 inches to run 32-33's. That was before i knew that my springs are shot. I wondering if someone could tell me who makes a good 2-3 inches lift that includes all 4 springs and doesn't destroy the factory ride. The truck is mainly used for the family but i do like to get her dirty every now and then. Anyone with info, experience and/or pics would help alot. O'yea......axle length??? there's about a three inch difference between the front and rear axle. Is there a reason for this? I keep seeing these trucks with 14 1/2 wide tires and the rears are near filling out the wells and the fronts are sticking out like sore thumbs. Is there a reason why the axles are different in length? I'd like to put 32 or 33 x 12.50's on her but don't want the rear's to look swallowed by the well. any suggestions? I could go with all new rims and have the rear two with a different offset but i don't think the boss would go for the extra cost. Anyone resolve this easy? 1 1/2 wheel spacers? Sorry so long winded...just need HELP! Thanks in advance. Later.

- Jersey

2. ChevyCaGal

ChevyCaGal 3/4 ton status

Why don't you just get a 4" lift and be done with it...? If you run some 33's, which lots of folks do because it's a nice combo and looks good. Then if you wheel you will that much more clearance then 2". Besides once you lift a little you will want more (even with the family riding in it! [​IMG]). Instead of doing it twice to get that extra few inches in there do it once and do it right! I'd say go with the Tuff Country. They have nice set ups and good prices. As for the wheels... they stick out up front further so you have a better turning radius. You can make things sharper. You can get wheel spacers and fix it though if you don't like it and even the wheels out....

How can I miss you if you won't go away? [​IMG]
    <a target="_blank" href=http://www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html>www.chevycagal.homestead.com/steph.html</a>
    &lt;&gt;&lt; 1 Timothy 4:12 &gt;&lt;&gt;

3. K5Jimmy

K5Jimmy 1/2 ton status

you can run 33's on stock wheels with a Skyjacker 2 1/2" with no steering correction.....for about $550 or so for all spring...you may get a little rub under a left turn full compression, but for family wheeling, you should do OK....go with 32's if ya want for a little insurance.....if you are gonna get a little more tough with it from time to time, then I would also recommend a 4" all spring with a dropped Pitman arm....the arm adds about $50 to the cost, and sometimes considerable agravation to the install if you do it yourself....some places won't install steering components..stay AWAY from 4 Wheel Parts Wholesalers....lift install cost should run around $100 or so plus the arm, plus alignment (toe in correction, caster/camber sleeves are pricey).....you'll get a lot of differing opinions on which brands are best, etc.....I run BFG Muds with real good success....Good Luck.JD

Stuck?...Hell no..I still got some gas left..

4. for just mild wheelin a 2.5 inch lift is great. i've had a 2.5 inch lift before and it was by far the nicest riding lift i've owned {on the street}. get some e-z rides and some 33s and you'll have a nice dual purpose rig.

<font color=blue>Striving for K5 world dominance</font color=blue>

5. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

I use to run the 2 1/2 in lift by Procomp with springs in front and blocks in back. I really liked the ride but I like it more now with my 4" from ProComp. I should ad that with the 2 1/2 lift I ran the cheapest shocks that 4WPW offered at that time and now I run ProComp. Another factor is that I was running dual shock in front and no I only run single.
    I ran 33" MT"s and AT's and only rubbed a when flexed and turning with my 2 1/2. I think it's a good lift all the way around. especially if it's family wheeling. But then again, I started with a 2 1/2 about 4 years ago and now I run the 4". I guess the bug got to me.
    BTW why do you say your springs are shot?

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album</a>

6. Esteban86K5

Esteban86K5 1/2 ton status

BTW fill out your profile!

<font color=blue>Esteban</font color=blue>

<font color=red>HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF CHATA?</font color=red>
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/Estebans-album</a>

7. CaptCrunch

CaptCrunch 1/2 ton status

Yup... I agree... run 4" w/ 33's and you will be set... but if you insist on the 2 1/2 i would go w/ a BDS lift... I love my ride... awsome springs, just don't get the bds shocks... they suck canal water!

-Mikey
    1987 Chevy K5 Blazer- 350 TBI
    <a target="_blank" href=http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch>http://coloradok5.com/gallery/captcrunch</a>

8. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the replies and sorry i haven't filled out my profile. I'll try and get to it. Anyway, I just bought the truck a few weeks ago after looking at about 10 of them. Here in Jersey they seem to all get eaten away by the salt or someone hacked, modified and beat 'em into the ground. This one is real clean, no rust, a real strong 350 with the 700r4 but i do know the kid hit a curb with it this past winter and bumped the front axle over. I tried this weekend to straighten her back out (right wheel under well 3/4" more than left) and did to a point, but the spring must have taken a good shock and twisted a little. The right rear sags about an inch more than the left, due to the spring. It has the stock rims/tires on it and now i want to straighten everything out (i'm a pain in the a$$ with things like this) and put my 32x11.50 BFG muds on. They have about 50% left and i know in a little bit i'll be going 33x12.50's. Thats it. I did the lift, then lift again thing a couple of years back on my CJ (8" w/35's) but i really don't want to go that high again...ok, right now anyway:) Not until my 2 year old and the new baby (due to arrive in 4 weeks!) grow up enough to climb in dad's truck by themselves. And NO, I'm not getting too old!! :) So, that's why i say my springs are shot and i need to replace them anyway so i just figured i should get ones with a little lift in 'em. I do all the work myself, i just need to know which springs would be the best choice for my "current" situation. I love the truck, i just want her to be right again. Thanks again for all the replies.

- Jersey