Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Blazer - Lift? Tires?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Jersey, Aug 14, 2001.

1. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

I own a 91 full size, stock, 1500 blazer and i want to get it a little tougher looking. It has the stock rims and I would like to put 33x12.50's's on it but 1 - i don't know if they'll bulge too much on the stock rims and 2 - if i'll need a lift to clear the tires. If so, how much will i need an what should i use? I'd like to keep the ride it has know and not make it much stiffer. I'm sure i can throw a 2-3 body lift in but to me, i's not the right way. Maybe i should go with 32x11.50's and not have to lift at all? Also, i'm not into cutting the wheel wells at all. This truck is in perfect condition and i'd like to keep her body :) It's mainly going to be used as a family vehicle with the option of playing in the dirt and mud every so often. Any suggestions, comments, links to sites with trucks like mine? Any help is appreciated in advance.

- Jersey

2. SlyDog

SlyDog 1/2 ton status

Just copy Steve's [​IMG]

Paul a.k.a. Paulie a.k.a. Juan Valdez, take your pick ! [​IMG]

3. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

I wouldnt put anything over 10.5" wide on a stock rim less than 8" wide. You will have irregualr wear issues and low pressure bead popping. Some people get away with 33's on a stock truck others get rubbing. If you do need a lift 2" suspension lift will clear them fine. Or you could go 1" ORD body lift with 0 rate 1" lift springs on all four springs. Hope this helps.

4. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Steve's?

5. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

thanks fr8train

6. fr8train

fr8train 1/2 ton status

No problem. welcomce to the boards!!!! I would wait around fro a few more posts to make any real decisions. The common lift for 33's is 2"-2.5"s in any configuration of body lift and/or suspension. Other than that sawzall it, but you said that was not an option.

7. MOABDADC22

MOABDADC22 1/2 ton status

I had 33x12.5x15 tires on the stock 15x7.5 wheels for about a year. The narrower wheel actually helps keep the bead in low pressure situations. It looks funny, but it worked. I personally would go with 4" lift, and 33's, but most lift companies offer a 6" kit for the same price as a 4"......so you might as well get the 6" kit. And now since you have extra clearance.......might as well get 35"s....... but back to the question. Talk with your local TRUSWORTHY 4x4 shop, or stop some guy at Wal-Mart who has a truck like you want and ask him what he/she did to their truck. Most people don't mind sharing some info they have on the topic of 4x4's. Right fellow K5'ers?

Real four wheelers don't need tools to remove body panels, paint, tail lights..etc.
    P.S. Ask me why it is called "BODY SNATCHER"

8. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Personally, I'd go with the 33x10.5's, which is what I have, and I'm not the only one. Extremely saggy springs, but I have 3 leaf front, 6 rear, which apparently might make a difference. No lift.

The problem is width more than height on the 33's, the 10.5" tire clears easier on turns. If it is mainly on road, don't lift (wear parts faster) get tires that are going to last, and give you good onroad traction and mileage, which would be AT's. BFG AT's are the only option so far with 33x10.5R15's. the AT's would be ok for off-road, but mud and lots of snow are going to render them pretty weak. Just be realistic about how you are going to use it. Big, knobby, noisy, expensive tires that last 30,000miles are not an ideal choice for a vehicle that sees 99% street driving. Just makes you look like a poser : )

Dorian
    My tech/links page: <a target="_blank" href=http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html>http://www.dorianyeager.com/index2.html</a>
    No anti-theft measures on your truck? No pity when its stolen

9. lehtola

lehtola 1/2 ton status

you can go 33.12.50s without a lift...depends on what you're doing. I think it looks beefy like that. you might try that if you don't do any serious off roading and need to save up for a lift. definately look at going with a lift to go more than 33's though

1990 GMC Jimmy 350/TH700R4/NP241/10 bolts, 4" skyjacker lift, 35x12.50R15 BFG All Terrains on 15x10 AR Baja's, Flowmasters.

10. Kyle89K5

Kyle89K5 1/2 ton status

Steve is Steve Fox, the guy that runs this site.

Second, if you have the 8" wide rim, then a 33x12.5 or 32x11.5 will fit. As far as lifting, that's up to you. 33's will be close to rubbing, but they might fit. a 2 1/2" lift isn't that expensive and won't really affect things (wear on parts) IMHO, 33's with a 2" lift look pretty good. I wouldn't mess with a body lift, unless it's a 1-1.5" TOPS.

Just my $0.02

Kyle
    89K5

11. Jersey

Jersey 1/2 ton status

Thanks for all the info guys. really appreciate it.

12. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

The newer trucks seem to fit 33x12.50s no problem stock. I think as they get older the springs sag too much and they rub.

My friend had 33x12.50s on 10" wide rims on his 86 K10 and they fit just fine, no rubbing, EVER, and he did take it off road.

His username on here is 86 Chevy K10. He now has my old lift, which was a 2.5" add-a-leaf in front and 3" block that I payed $70 for in JC Whitney. It really wasn't worth the time to install, but it got me into this lifted truck thing, made it look better, and was cheap.

I gave it to him and now he runs 33x12.50 Thornbirds and it looks pretty good.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles