Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Burb wanders

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by m4, Feb 12, 2005.

1. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

Hello all, I have a 91 Suburban 4x4 all stock:confused: . The Sub is difficult to drive due to the vague steering. It seems like I have to over correct while driving and this leads to wandering. 246,000 miles on Sub, has brand new steering box. I've looked at all the ball joints and they seem allright? Had an alignment about two years ago. I'm planing to drive to Oregon this summer and need everything "right". Should I just rebuild the front end and be done with it?

2. Muddytazz

Muddytazz 1 ton status

If your steering box is new, that would eliminate that. Have you wiggled your tires to check the ball joints? What about loose/bad bearings, also check your TRE's. What ya coming up to oregon for? If your going to be in the area, look some of us up :D

3. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

vacation vacation vacation. newer tires, the ball joints don't feel loose, but with so many miles it might be time for a rebuild.

P.S. I need two new front seats, anyone have a line on seats?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2005
  4. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

I would suspect bad tie rod ends or bad drag link ends. Start the truck, and with it in park have someone steer the tires back and forth while you watch the steering linkage. You should be able to see which joints are worn out.

5. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

thanks , I'm going to order all the tie rod end and drag link ends and go through everything.

6. Can Can

Can Can Pusher Man Staff Member Super Moderator

I agree with Blazer1970. 99% of my handling issues were solved by replacing the ball joints and the entire draglink setup(both ends and a heavy duty connecting sleeve).

Another biggie is the condition of your tires. How are they?

7. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

thanks, tires are about a year old no problem there. Just a thought here- if the power steering pump is going out but doesn't squeel, would this make the steering harder while driving, might replace this also? I have power steering but the steering wheel is much harder to turn than I remember. I hope all my parts come in this week.

8. Blazer1970

Blazer1970 1/2 ton status

Have you run it in 4WD? Are the U-joints in the front axles OK? I have seen a steering symptom like what you describe with a frozen-up u-joint in the front axle.

9. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

I have used the 4X4 this year and everything is good there. I checked the drag link while a friend turned the wheel and I could see the tie rod end move in a bad way.

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status

I'll agree 99% of my wandering issues were corrected with a new draglink, and tierod ends

11. m4

m4 1/2 ton status

Hello all, my parts from LMC arrived today, I was a little disappointed in the made in Taiwan parts. I can't decide if I want to send them back and get Moog tie rod and draglink ends from O'reillys.I just want to do it right once, Any help here would be great.

12. trailblazer86

trailblazer86 1/2 ton status

My '86 was like that too. Due to hopeful wishing I also replaced all of the wearable parts on the front end. Ball Joint's , tie rod ends, drag link, even the wheel bearings. The steering was still vague.

Pulled the steering box and found the cracks around the bolt holes. I have now welded the cracks properly (drilled a small hole at the end of the crack) added the frame repair kit. I have also installed a steering brace from Off-road Design.
    The steering is much better. All fear factor has been removed, the truck is now a joy to drive.