Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Burb - with ABS - two questions about the ABS/lifting/14BFF

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BurbinOR, Dec 5, 2002.

1. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

This 91 I am interested in has ABS -

1. Lifting it - do you have to move something that deals with the ABS? Seem to remember Steve Fox having some issue.
    2. What is the actuation of the ABS? If you put a 14BFF in it, any issues related to the ABS.

Seems the ORD Tuff Country spring discount might come in handy........... /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

My '90 supposedly has rear wheel ABS. But there weren't any extra connections to make when I swapped the 14 bolt into it a couple of weeks ago. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif Maybe they just monitor the VSS to "know" when the rear wheels have locked? I don't have a manual for a '90 yet, so I don't have any details.

3. DPI

DPI 1/2 ton status

I think HarryH3 is right about the VSS. I replaced my 10 bolt with a 14 bolt FF and a disc brake setup with no issues. Oh, I also have 9" of lift.
    When I was bleeding the brakes I could definately tell the rears did not want to lock up and you can feel a slight pulsation in the pedal at a hard stop.

4. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

Have a 14FF under my 91 1/2 ton Sub and have not run into any issues (other than no parking brake, but understand those to be optional equipment anyways???)
    I think the 'sensor' is up-stream (in the trans case/tranny?) and nothing on the axle/backing plate. I've had the axle in there about 18 months now. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif

5. BurbinOR

BurbinOR 3/4 ton status

Cool. Meeting him tomorrow morning to try to finalize the deal. It has a Gov Lok in it already, (which will be FINE for what this Burb is for) but eventually I'd like to go 14BFF. Also has 4.10 gears and the 4L80E tranny.............glad to hear lifting it shouldn't affect the ABS.

Thanks all. /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif