Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Ford F155 57" springs a great fit!

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by BorregoK5, Jul 2, 2002.

1. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

91 Ford F155 57\" springs a great fit!

I found a 1991 Ford F155 (designated such by the sticker in the door jam) with the 4 leaf + overload in a local junk yard. The spring pack only needed to be redrilled and installed with no extra leaves and it rests at the same height as a stock set of springs off a k5. The ride is much smoother than the 3 leaf + overload f150 pack with k5 leafs mixed in and feels firm but glassy smooth. It feels so smooth that the front end seems rediculously stiff. I know there were a lot of questions recently on which packs to get, so I had to post my trial and error succes. Thanks Marv, good advice on the target!

2. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Re: 91 Ford F155 57\" springs a great fit!

At my work we have a parts chaser ford F150...92 or newer. It has the 4 plus overload rear springs and the amount of arch in the springs is very similar to the amount of arch in my stock 52" springs.

Wish me luck at the wrecking yard.../forums/images/icons/smile.gif

Rene

3. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

Woohoo, so my recent find should work too! Saves me a bit of trouble with mixin' and matchin'.

4. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

Any luck yet? Make sure you get one that still has the packs clamped, I had to buy clamps. It absorbes curbs like a desert truck now in the back even with those stiff ES3000's. Got to get me front diff fixed so I can really test them out!

5. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

LOL, I'm still financially embarrassed, so I'm still driving around with a busted 52" spring pack/forums/images/icons/blush.gif

Thanks for the tip on the clamps...I'll make sure to keep an eye out for that.

Rene

6. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I can relate to that, I drove on my broken one for almost two months! If you lived closer I'd give you my old 52 inchers, and the 57's they are mixed in with (although one main 57 is tweaked.. hehe)

7. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Ok Michael, next week I am going spring shopping so I should look for a F150 with the 4 plus overload? Also if you look in my post let me know what you think of the shackel idea. I am not redrilling the pack because I will run an offset zero rate and just move the axle back 1 1/2" with that so in essance I will be moving it back a 1/2" from the factory setting. Any other info you can give me? TIA.

8. BozoWise

BozoWise 1/2 ton status

How far toward the rear did you drill the pack? Did you get it back to factory or did you move towards the rear any?

9. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In reply to:</font><hr />
    LOL, I'm still financially embarrassed, so I'm still driving around with a busted 52" spring pack

[/ QUOTE ]
    Geez Rusty!! /forums/images/icons/frown.gif you pay mail, and ill send ya a stock spring, thats crazy! dont wanna see ya get hurt /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

10. BorregoK5

BorregoK5 1/2 ton status

I drilled mine 1 1/2" back which put the axle back 1/2" from stock and kept the old spring hole securely under the spring plate. I do have more axle wrap than before, still a good compromise for such a great ride. I'm fabbing up a set of bolt on traction bars which wont hurt my flex.