Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Front Speaker Questions

Discussion in 'Audio' started by 91K5, Jul 5, 2000.

1. 91K5

91K5 1/2 ton status

I'm working on upgrading the stereo in my '91 Blazer and need some help with where to locate the front speakers. I know the front speakers are only 3 1/2 inch speakers, which are too small for my taste, plus being mounted in the dash they take a lot of abuse from the sun and heat. Every place I talk to says to use the Qform Kick panel things, but they cost 200 dollars for the pair, which is more than the speakers cost to go into them. I've also heard that the front doors can't house the speakers due to the electric window motor. I've heard some people who just cut holes in the front side kick panels (just below where the old blazers had the vents), but I'm not sure how deep the hole can be safely cut, and how well it sounds when it's all said and done. If anyone has installed speakers in the front, besides the stock speaker locations in the dash, I'd appreciate any input.

Thanks,
    Troy

2. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

The 3 1/2" speakers are fine...or you can do what I have seen done, take out that factory piece of [censored] console and put in a couple 6X9's and a couple of 10In subs. I have seen a guy in canyon that had a couple of walmart 6x9 boxes in the bottom of the cheap consoles...just a thought

<font color=blue>If its too loud, your too old.</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

3. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I have a a pair of kick panels that i might sell to you for about 75$, they came out of my 80. I built them about three years ago and then had them coated with a rhino type substance. They have a pair of Eclipse 6.5" coaxes in them right now. I pulled them because I just built a new pair so I can install a pair of 6.5" FOCAL components in them. They arent the most fancy but they work great. Just a suggestion. By the way the kicks were profesionally built, it's what I do for a living.

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

4. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

DBlazer how did you build them? out of what? have any pics? I may buy them...if you sell them

<font color=red>Cameron</font color=red> <font color=green>Burnett</font color=green>

5. DBLAZER

DBLAZER 1/2 ton status

I took the original kicks and built on to them with MDF. I the took them to Diamond Off Road to have them coated with a polyurathane coating. They have been through all sorts of weather and never flinched. To tell you the truth Ilike them better then the qforms i have now because they were perfectly fit to use as a step to put my foot on while I was driving. My new kicks dont. But my new kicks will work for my new components, and my old ones dont. I will try to get a pick of them for you. NASH

89 w/DANA 60-Corp 14 w/5:13s n Detroit's. 4"lift 2" body. NEW AtlassII ordered 5-15-00. 38" sx's -

6. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

Looking forward to the pics.

7. Dave

Dave Registered Member

My 90 K-5 has speakers in the front doors. The previous owner made custom lwoer door panels out of wood and covered them with grey carpeting to match the interior. I do have power windows and have never run into problems. The speakers are 4 1/2" round speakers.

Dave Hiller
    90 K-5
    "The Anti-SUV"

8. Mint90

Mint90 Registered Member

I'm confused. Mine came with 4x6s in the dash.

Mint '90 K5, All Stock, All Options, 49K

9. KingSmoth

KingSmoth Registered Member

10. 82Jimmy

82Jimmy 1/2 ton status

I don't get it! I thought they were all 3 1/2's in the dash! I bought my infinitys up front from crutchfield and they called me to find out what year I had because there was a problem with the 87-91's bracket or something.