Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 jimmy ??????????

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by 91 full size jimmy, Jul 4, 2005.

1. 91 full size jimmy

91 full size jimmy Registered Member

I just bought a 91 jimmy and i wanna lift it and make it off road worthy any ideas and things that i should do?

2. 87BrnRsd

87BrnRsd 1/2 ton status

If your gonna run bigger tires, invest in some larger axles. Say, a 14ff rear and a D60 front with some lower than stock gears. That will keep both your tranny and you happy. Also, go with suspension lifts and not a body lift. Body lifts are junk imho.
    -Harrison

3. LongIslander26

LongIslander26 1/2 ton status

Body vs. Suspension lifts.

I think suspension lifts are great, to a point. It all depends on how radical you want to get with it. Sometimes a smaller combination of both together can be a better solution for lift than all from one, when it comes to issues relating to things like tire size fitment, front steering goemetry, driveshaft pinion angles, and MONEY. A little homework ahead of time can make you alot happier, (And less broke), in the long run! Good luck and have fun. :woot:

4. 91 full size jimmy

i was looken at a rough country 4" suspention lift and a 2" body lift what type of gears shoult i put in the fr and rr? Should i also put in locking fr and rr diff.?

5. dave_90_blazer

dave_90_blazer 1/2 ton status

what size tires you want to go with?
    what kind of wheeling you going to do?

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Buy a membership here. Read everything you have time to. It will help you're planning.

Run a search on Rough Country and the recommendations around here. Lots of threads.

7. 91 full size jimmy

right know i was gonna stay with the 32x11.5 till i get some more money. I was gonna be doin a lot of mud trails thats all i got around hear

8. steve_kibbe

steve_kibbe 1/2 ton status

If the body's descent, I'd do 4 inch tuff country springs up front, shackle flip in the rear and run some 35's with your stock axles. I wouldn't recomend going over a 35 unless you're planning on some axle upgrades. You can still buy some lockers for your stock axles and maybe buy some nice shafts in the future. Its always possable to get some 3/4 ton axles, 14 bolt rear with a 8 lug 10 bolt up front, then you're half way to a one ton setup.

There's so many options, the sky is the limit.

I would check into how much everything is gunna cost you before you tear anything out, unless you have another dd. don't forget about your drive shaft length, brake lines, shocks, and steering correction before you start your lift.

just some thoughts by steve kibbe.........

Have a great day :thumb:

9. 91 full size jimmy

should i put 3/4 ton axles or 1 ton axles in the fr? and what gears should i use if i put one of them in? And should i put the same in the rr? :confused:

10. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

depends on what you're going to do with your rig. If larger than 35" tires and lockers are in your future, then yeah, don't sink $$$ into your stock axles, just save up the $ for the D60/ff14b combo. BTW, of the two stock axles you have, its the rear axle that would be best to replace... if you only had the $$$ to replace one. The rear 10 bolt is a pretty crappy axle and if a shaft breaks, your tire and the rest of your rig go seperate ways. Not good. This is why a lot of people do 3/4 ton swaps... it gives you a BEEFY rear end that probably won't break. If it did, the tire doesnt fall off. If the front end breaks, the beefy rear can "get ya home".

gears have to be matched front and rear unless you run different height tires front and rear, and you don't even want to go there with a trail rig. What gear ratio would be best depends on tire height, transmission/engine type and how the rig will be used. Good thing about doing an axle swap is its an easy/cheap way to get lower gears (assuming you don't know how to set up gears yourself). Most 3/4 or 1 ton stuff will have 4.10 or 4.56 gears... which is lower than pretty much any stock k5 axle AFAIK. My 85 had 3.73s if I remember correctly...

j

11. Z3PR

Z3PR Banned

Personally, I avoid Rough Country like the pleage. I highly recomend BDS and Tuff Country for off the shelf springs. I ran 6" Springs up front with a 4" ORD Shackle Flip + 3" springs for the rear. Nice ride and works very well together. Rough Country has the reputation of riding like a old lumber wagon.

12. jekbrown

jekbrown I am CK5 Premium Member GMOTM Winner Author

good call z3pr... forgot to mention something about his choice of springs. You can get BDS springs cheap cheap from JDs Offroad. They have a www site.

j

13. 91 full size jimmy

every thing is on hold i have 2 replace the whole floor from fire wall to the tailgate. any ideas on where i can find cheep parts?