Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 k2500 steering arm removal suggestions and tips please.

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by kentuckyjoe, Apr 17, 2002.

1. kentuckyjoe

kentuckyjoe Newbie

Hello,im new here and just got a 4"lift rough country for my 91 k2500 8 lug suburban.Getting ready to install the kit now and ive beat the hell out of the steering arm but it wont budge,the cone washers are not breaking loose and ive been soaking them with penetrating oil for about 2 days now.any tips or ideas will be greatly appreciated. thanks,Joe

2. Sparky

Sparky 1/2 ton status

San Antonio(summer) Texas A and M (school year)
    You may want to try pulling the nuckle off and putting it in a vice or something so you can hit at it straighter than while its on the truck. If you have a torch, i would try heating it up real good, and then beat on it. Just make sure to watch your brake lines and fuel lines and all that.

Sparky

3. GMCLegacy

GMCLegacy 1/2 ton status

here is what we rigged....

with the axle out of the truck and tires still mounted roll the axle to the drive in a open area. turn the axle unpside down and remove one end of the tierod. with a friend keeping the axle from rotating, grab the 10# sledge and give it a few good hits on the part where it curves, this should loosen the cones up enough to either come out, or grab them with a pair of vise grips. if you still have problems, try to get a big flatehead screwdiver between the knucke and the arm to split them apart. another thing that helps is once the arm starts to lossen up, hit the arm back down onto the knockle. this will most likely pop the cones out of the arm a bit so you can grab them with the vise grips.

4. Blazinaire

Blazinaire 1/2 ton status

I thought that mine was welded on! All I ended up doing was getting a screwdriver and sticking it in the slot on the cone washers and pounding it counterclockwise untill they unscrewed off. I know that the cone washers aren't threaded, but the studs that they are on are, so when they got tightened down they kinda got stuck to the threads. This has worked for me on every arm that I have had to remove (and I've removed plenty!)

5. 79Beast

79Beast 1/2 ton status

My first time I made the mistake of using too small a hammer. Try something around eight or ten lbs. Stand back and give it hell. When the tapered wedge locks start to work out, grab them with vice grips and pull them out.