Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'91 K5 Blazer but no manual & dump questions

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Jul 23, 2001.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

\'91 K5 Blazer but no manual & dump questions

Hi all, I just bought a very nice '91 K5 Blazer (one-owner, Silverado with 86Kmiles on it!). I'm going through the process of changing all the lubricants. I'm at the transmission and need to know how many quarts in takes (it's a 4sp AOD)? Also, how many quarts does the transfer case carry and the type of oil? Anything else you can recommend that I should replace or be in the look-out-for would help. Sorry for the dumb questions, but the owners manual doesn't say squat... My local parts store did not have Chilton manual. Your assistance would be truly appreciated.

2. Bubba Ray Boudreaux

Bubba Ray Boudreaux 1 ton status

Re: \'91 K5 Blazer but no manual & dump questions

Tansfer case takes tranny fluid. Get yourself a gallon jug of the cheap stuff, makes life easier and a hand pump to do it. Can't find tranny capacity in my manual, but I get 5 quarts and when I do a tranny service I put in three quarts and then check it and add what I need to be safe, plus you'll have extra left over.

"I am Republican. Not a baby-killing, tree hugging, land grabbing, touchy feely, hypocrite wuss democrat!"

3. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I would take your truck to a Jiffy Lube or something like that and have the tranny FLUSHED. Changing the filter is nice but the only way to do it right is to flush it completely.

I suggest also that you you do a major tune up. That means cap, rotor, wires, spark plugs, O2 sensor, air cleaner, oil change and filter, give it a good greasing, etc.

You might also consider changing fluids in the axles and checking the brakes for wear, as well as re-packing the front wheel bearings.

All of the things in the above paragraph are cheap to do now, but expensive to do later. In fact, the tranny is so important I can't stress it enough. GET THAT THING FLUSHED!

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

4. gokartergo

gokartergo 3/4 ton status Staff Member Moderator

84_cHEVY_K10 is right on the tranny service. You can't change all the fluids. A lot of it is up in the converter. If you take it to a shop they can suck all the fluids out. They hook it up to your radaitor ports and your done........Dan

If it ain't broke.......Don't fix it....

5. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

To answer your questions.
    The trans takes 5 quarts of dextron atf fluid. When poring in the 5th quart check and fill to proper level on the dip stick
    The transfer case takes about 2.3 quarts of dextron ATF fluid.
    Drain fluid out the plug in the bottom, replace plug. Then remove the big plug about half way up the case and fill till it just starts to run out.

<font color=orange> You are just jealous, because the voices only talk to me.</font color=orange><P ID="edit"><FONT class="small">Edited by Thunder on 07/23/01 08:33 PM.</FONT></P>

6. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

did not have a hand pump the last time i changed my transfer case fluid, so i got about 6 feet of rubber hose and stuck 1 end in the hole and a funnel on the other and poured until it came out the top.
    just make sure and hold the funnel above the level of the fill hole. cause remember the post about going brain dead, it is amazing how much fluid is in 6 feet of hose

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

I know I'm right. :) I work at Jiffy Lube.

Tim
    '84 Chevy K10, lifted, loud, fast, and 3/4 ton axles

8. RESTORE89

RESTORE89 1/2 ton status

and here we thought you were just trying to send the guy in the right direction and all the time it was about the profits. Cool, now how can i convince him he needs some construction work done???lol

It needs a bigger motor.
    what's in it now?
    doen't matter it NEEDS A BIGGER MOTOR
    89 350tbi/700r4h/np208/4.11's