Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91' K5 conversion

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by So7iTuD3, Dec 31, 2004.

1. So7iTuD3

So7iTuD3 Newbie

I inhereted a 1991 K5 from a friend who bought it a year ago. It has a very nice body, and great interior, and the interior was totally replaced a year ago. The only trouble is that he never every checked or changed the oil, and totally ran it dry and ruined the motor. He decided that he'd enlist my help to pull the motor and rebuilt a new one. After we pulled the motor and exchanged it for a new short-block, he decided he'd rather just get rid of the truck instead of messing with it anymore. So I decided to "Help him out" and buy it from him for practically nothing.

I've built a few 350s before - I built one for a 74 Camaro, a 75 Camaro, and a 86 Firebird, but I've never dealt with TBI before. I'd much rather skip this TBI stuff and convert it over to a carburetor, but I'm leary of doing this with a block from 1991 because I was unsure of how to deal with the EGR and how to wire up an HEI distributor. The rest I think I can deal with, but those two have me stumped. Should I stick with TBI and try to figure it out or is there a way to change the distributor over to an HEI?

2. unclematty

unclematty 1/2 ton status

TBI and HEI is EZ if you can build engines you can do the wiring and what not with this. IMHO TBI is easier then carb work!:D

3. tRustyK5

tRustyK5 Big meanie Staff Member Super Moderator GMOTM Winner Author

Not only that but injected motors will run at any angle without flooding or stalling out like a carb'd motor will.

Keep the TBI, just keep the cam conservative and you should be fine. They'll tolerate up to about 260 degrees advertised duration.

Rene

4. So7iTuD3

So7iTuD3 Newbie

Thanks for the input. I'll go ahead and keep the TBI then.