Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 K5 - Correct plug?

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwank, Oct 30, 2002.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

Dec 7, 2001
    The Delco catalog lists the CR43TS... which is what I am running now. Just turned 135K and got some new wires, checked the plugs and they look ok, but winter is coming, at Mt Hood is ruthless in mid-winter.

So I am gonna replace the plugs here soon... but I see many folks running the 45TS... probably wouldn't hurt to have a little bit hotter plug in this thing. Anyway, just looking for other opinions on whether or not to run the 43TS or jump up to 44 or 45 model plugs. And what about the Rapid Fire?

Currently I am running all stock ignition components. Help a brotha out.
  2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Feb 17, 2000
    3=Heat Range
    TS=Tapered Seat

I've run Rapid Fires with great luck....but stick with the stock heat range.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Dec 13, 2000
    I was just in 7 degree weather for a few days this past week (and not over freezing for three days straight). Stock ignition components are more than up to the task in respect to those kinds of temps. Thats what thermostats are for /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Plugs are kinda hard to test, about the only way is to pull one plug wire at a time while its running to make sure each one is contributing its fair spark, or pull a plug from the engine, and see if it sparks in the right place. (from the electrode, not deep inside the plug, which I have seen on cheap plugs)

Already scraped my plugs clean once, and my mileage or performance hasn't changed from the day they were new.

Of course, many will call me cheap if those are 135k plugs, but really, why replace something that is working fine? No guarantee the replacements will be as good as the originals, or even work right in the first place.