Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 Nissan Stanza...

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by PhoenixZorn, Apr 19, 2005.

1. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Ok, I've read up on the subject, and can't find any pertinent information... I have a KA24E engine in my stanza, which is a 2.4L SOHC 4 banger. I've heard, but not seen that you can replace the SOHC with a DOHC with no other changes, but I find this hard to believe. Basically, I'm looking for ways to give the little thing more power. It's got 145hp and 153ft/lbs of torque now, so it can easily break loose the 185/70R15 tires. What else do i need to do to make it a DOHC motor? I'm not going to gain any torque out of the swap unless I change pistons, valves and the intake, but I'll gain about 9 horsies if everything just bolts together.

Why am I doing this, and how do I do it?

Also, my exhaust broke away from the cat on the front end of it... should I:

1. Replace the cat, and weld the pipes back together

-or-

2. Get a whole new manifold back exhaust job done?

2. gone huntin

gone huntin 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Well, I just happen to be a Nissan master tech. The engine in your Stanza is used in nothing else in it's "Stanza" form. It is the same engine that was used in the early 240SX and Hardbody trucks, however, the blocks are different. The bellhousing bolt pattern is different and the waterpump location is different. The Stanza's replacement, the Altima, is dual overhead cam, but it won't bolt up to your tranny. There is no DOHC head that will bolt to your block.
    Also, if your car has never had a timing chain replacement then you should be prepared to do so. They had plastic guides that were prone to breaking after about 100k miles. When this happens, then it jumps time and bends valves. The replacement guides are metal to prevent this.

3. PhoenixZorn

Imagine that... that's precisely what happened to me about 40k ago.... I was in Chicago, doing the stop and go thing, when suddenly, I popped the clutch and the thing wouldn't start again.

I had the whole engine rebuilt, and it's more powerful now than it was in it's stock form, but I want more... I know all those things about the 240 and trucks... but there has to be something... I knew I wouldn't be able to use the Altima motor, and I've seen a KA24E with 425 Front Wheel Horsepower.... so while you may be a Nissan master tech, I still believe there is something I can do with my Stanza. I know there is no way in hell I'd get anywhere near 425, but it would be super nice to break the 200 mark with my 2300 lb car... A place to get headers would be super duper... since my exhaust is just about shot anyway, I might as well do it right. If I keep the thing long enough, I may build a junkyard turbo and slap that on there.

If there wasn't, people wouldn't use the Stanza as a Rally training car.

4. gone huntin

I never said you couldn't put performance parts on it, I just said you couldn't DOHC it.

5. PhoenixZorn

I got that part. =)

So, any idea where i can get some performance parts?

6. gone huntin

Stillen is about the only company I know of that makes performance stuff for NISSAN.

7. PhoenixZorn

Yep... I've searched their site high and low when I was into modding my stanza, and found nothing for the sedan version... I considered a sr20det swap... but it would cost me more than the car did to do that... besides, there is no replacement for displacement... even if it is a SOHC.. =)