Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 power tailgate woes - and a question

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by schwank, May 17, 2002.

1. schwank

schwank Registered Member

I have a 91 K5 with a power tailgate. Currently she sits with the dash ripped out as I replace a bunch of stuff the previous owner hacked together. Amazing the thing ran at all. I do have one weird problem with the tailgate.

The window would lower, but not raise. I switched the wires to reverse polarity, and the window will raise but not lower. A new $20 dash rocker switch will be here monday, but I just checked the key operation in the back, and to my dismay, the same symptoms.

So given that it works both directions, that would seem to indicate that the motor is ok, and that the snake cable is fine too. So what gives? Bad wires? Something in the motor?

I am quite broke right now so I hate to just dump cash into it. Save that for later /forums/images/icons/wink.gif But for now, what should I look for. I would hate to hack another switch into the wiring... what a rig job that would be.

And one other ? just for giggles. I see everyone talking about making a swap to put later model dual headlight grilles into older K5's. The thing is, mine only has a single headlight. Was the dualies an option that this rig doesn't have, or was it already swapped? The latter seems unlikely, as I know the history of the truck.

Thanks

schwank

2. Blazer_Boy

Blazer_Boy 1/2 ton status

Send the switch back and buy a new lockout switch. Pop off your cover and look for the rods that control the latches. Unhook the one going to the driver's side. Get a big freakin phillips screwdriver and take out the hinge. You should see a little spring loaded electrical switch on that latch. This prevents the glass from rolling up when the gate is down. Replace or bypass it because they always go bad. Enjoy /forums/images/icons/cool.gif

3. wayne

wayne 3/4 ton status

Or do the free fix and just bypass that switch. That is what I did and have had no problems.

4. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I have a '90 with the scottsdale package. In other words, barebones K5 with no interior panels etc. It too has the single headlight on either side. So, to answer your question, I think the 4-headlights were an option or part of the fancier trim packages. Hope that leads toward an answer.
    Do you know if the rear window is supposed to go all the way inside the gate? Mine sticks out about 1 inch at full down position.

5. schwank

Mine is also the Scottsdale... guess it just comes with the minimal package. Oh well, less [censored] to break.

The window itself does stick out a bit when fully lowered. With it in pieces right now, I can't tell you how much exactly but that does sound about right.

As for the bypass, do I just take the wires and splice em together then?

6. schwank

Mine is also the Scottsdale... guess it just comes with the minimal package. Oh well, less [censored] to break.

The window itself does stick out a bit when fully lowered. With it in pieces right now, I can't tell you how much exactly but that does sound about right.

As for the bypass, do I just take the wires and splice em together then?

7. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I really don't know 'bout the wires. Maybe someone on here knows were you can get a wiring diagram.

8. ddawg

ddawg Registered Member

I think Blazerboy might have it right. I have a '76 cherokee that did the same thing. I cleaned up the contacts at the switch at side of gate. It's worked fine ever since and that was two years ago. Previous owner let it sit for several years so she was corroded.

9. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

With the access panel off, you can just reach into the 'gate (IIRC) and yank the connector off that switch. I took one piece of wire, jammed one end into each prong of the connector, and taped it. Ghetto, yes. Did I care now that the tailgate worked, and can anyone see it? No.

10. BowtieBlazer

BowtieBlazer 1/2 ton status