Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91 slight surge

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by Alex, Jun 13, 2003.

1. Alex

Alex Registered Member

Hi all, I get a slight surge (down from idle) when I'm at a stop sign. It does not occur when the truck is cold just when it is warm. Besides that, the truck runs great but I cannot seem to find the problem. The cap/rotor/plugs/wires/injectors are fine. Any idea what may be wrong? Thanks in advance. /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

2. BlazerGuy

BlazerGuy 3/4 ton status

I would check the EGR valve... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif

3. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

my 91 sub acted similar (along with a few other issues) and finally threw a TPS code. As i'd changed it less than 2 years earlier i didn't believe it, and finally DID change it.
    That resolved all my issues and runs great now! Even seems to have picked up the mileage a bit! /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif
    /forums/images/graemlins/burb.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. Thunder

Thunder 3/4 ton status

First check for trouble codes and repair any problems.
    If there are no trouble codes:
    Check all your vacume lines and Throttle body gasket for leaks.
    Pull off your EGR valve and clean it out with carb cleaner.
    Wouldn't hurt to pull and clean off the IAC valve either.
    As said in above post a faulty TPS can cause surging also.

5. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Not meanin to hijack your post, but, in my 87 i have a surge at idle, sometimes feeling like its gonna cut off. When it gets warm, is when it does it, but it doesnt do it everytime. Same thing with when i get on the gas from a full stop, feels like no power and almost a miss, but it doesnt do it everytime. Could this be a TPS? Everything on the ignition minus the distributor itself was changed in january or early feb. If this could be TPS (i havent had time to check for codes yet) where is it located? Anyone have a pic? Is it hard to change? About how much does it cost? Thanks.

6. k20

k20 3/4 ton status

Ok there are no codes, all the plugs are clean. I broke a plug so when i go to autozone to get one i might go ahead and get a TPS and look for it on the truck as i have no idea where it is or what it looks like. Should i get one for an 87 or an 89 (engine), if they are different pn's?

7. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

TPS plugs into pass side of TBI. A couple small bolts, and a slight range of travel for adjustment on it. It almost reminded me of those old manual choke covers.
    I think they run around $30.

8. 90K5

90K5 1/2 ton status

be sure to check all the sensors, but also check the wires. I had a surge, and my O2 sensor wire had the insulation stripped off, with a wiring harness crossing it, right where it was stripped. the voltages jumped around, sending wierd readings to the computer

9. MousePowrd

MousePowrd 1/2 ton status

Hey my truck does the exact same thing. Mine gets worse when the a/c is kicked on. I have already done the TPS (I did get a low TPS code before, now it doesnt) and done a full tuneup. I replaced a half dozen bad or suspect vacuum lines. It runs better, but I still have this surge of about 100 rpms. I am getting an EGR code, so that is the next thing coming off for inspection

10. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You may end up having to "adjust" the TPS if you get a new one anyways, might I suggest making sure yours is working correctly before throwing $30 away?

I'm sure a search on here or google will yield TPS test procedures.

11. pr1aw

pr1aw 1/2 ton status

My 91 does the same thing. I'm pulling 21 vaccum, replaced ignition with MSD coil, 6a box, super conductor wires. Checked the TPS with multi-meter according to manual. No codes. I guess the EGR is the next thing to check. Thanks guys.

12. woody9

woody9 1/2 ton status

oops, almost forgot. One other thing on that was to clear the computer (batt disconnected for a few minutes), once the new one is in place, KEY ON (NOT STARTED), and give the accel a FULL cycle - idle to WFO and hold briefly, then key back off. Supposedly allows computer to LEARN the full TPS range.
    Not sure if it was the new sensor that did it, or the re-programing??? Either way, much better now!