Discussion in '1936-Present Suburban' started by dhcomp, Oct 7, 2009.
You are the brake bleeding master!
Practice makes perfect
Wish i knew what was causing it to leak down during use....but i can't find it.
Haven't had much time to work on the beast recently, but its been doing ok.
Brake Bleed - Seems to not be getting worse, pedal is firm, just lower than i want
Door hinge pins / strikes - going to do all 4, but drivers is getting bad
Front axle - Definitely bent, high in the middle, giving me positive camber, and awful tire wear
Rear axle - still needs degree shims
didnt you just swap that in?
Yes, sir. My whole axle swap was a mess. Should have just regeared.
Installed the 14ff, and learned the gear setup was all messed up, pinon started leaking, etc. Ended up having to have all the bearings swapped and the gears setup again.
Then had all sorts of shock issues, because I didn't realize i had a 2wd 14ff, with different shock mounts. Had i just cut the shock mounts off and changed them, I could have run my old shocks.
Now, the front axle. Thank god these tires were only about 25% to start, or i'd be PISSED.
Going to keep an eye out for another center section.....
Debating having an alignment shop check it out, just don't want to waste the $80. I checked it with a tape measure, and its seems close. Don't think it would wear on the outsides unless it was WAY toed out, and it drives fine.
That, and i bent the tie rod, and had to straighten it in this whole mess. That would make me think its toed in....but then it would be wearing on the inside....
Tires were wearing FINE on the old axle though.....
Gotta stay focused though. It runs, and drives ok. Will make it though the summer.
well atleast it runs again thats a good thing.
damn dude. makes my big grey driveway ornament sound nice, given the troubles you're having...
keep your head up man, keep working on it.
Hope you get those things straightened out. Makes me worry what kind of little things I'll run into with my suburban since its been sitting for 2 years.
how do you think i feel about the 7-8yrs mine sat? thats why i'm redoing EVERYTHING!
your front axle issue had me staring at my 60 today for a while, i know it's un likely, but now i'm worried.
Correct me if im wrong but i was under the impression that camber determined inner/outer wear and toe was just the tires in relation to one another. Which would cause it to drive like crap i know since i recently dealt with that on my jeep but no uneven wear was caused.
caster combined with toe in/out will cause tire shoulder wear.
But there isnt' really a way to adjust camber on a solid axle, unless you get into tapered ball joint adjusting sleeves, and other bandaids like that.
Toe is all you get to set.
It's been a while but instead of the adjusting sleeves, there are some shims tha you could install (behind the spindle, I believe) that could help with your camber.
Hadn't thought about that!
I should post in the garage and see what experience people have with this. This way, i could just go get the alignment checked, and spec the shims from that.
For $60, i'm all over it. Pulled the trigger on those Ingalls Engineering shims.
Install instructions make me wonder if my spindles are slightly bent though.....may check them out when i pull it apart.
Im pretty sure that Colbystephens last truck had those on in it on one side. Could check with him.
Just remembered these spindles are the original ones i had on my 10 bolt.
Never marked orientation when i took them apart, wonder if i could just reclock them and correct this situation
I'll take a look when i tear it apart.
375H&H, there are other places for that, not someone's build thread.
Good work. Thanks man
Been driving this thing to work a ton, since i'm currently only working 3 miles from my house
Front alignment has been way out of wack since the axle swap. Bad positive camber.
Installed some spindle shims to help correct the issue.
Decided to do my own ghetto alignment to set the camber.
Used my iphone, and a piece of steel to find the camber angle. First, i zero'd it on the rear wheel. Then checked it vs. the front to determine how far i was out. Forget my exact measurements, but needed about 2.8˚ on one side, and about 2 on the other.
Ended up setting both at 2.5˚ shim (max on the shims), which kept me from having to adjust the toe in.
Its clearly negative camber now....so thinking i'll go get it checked professionally and set it again before i get new tires. These ones are wrecked anyways....