Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

911!! Need HELP!! rear brakes...

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by jarheadk5, Mar 25, 2000.

1. jarheadk5

jarheadk5 1/2 ton status

I don't know what to do here. I've got the left side apart and semi-cleaned up. The problem is, there are grooves worn into the backing plate in the spots where the shoes ride. The top 3 aren't too bad, but the bottom ones, front and back, are grooved badly. I think this could have something to do with why my left rear brake was hanging up, which warped the drum, which wore out one shoe, which grooved the hell out of said drum. Do I need new backing plates, or is there another way to fix this?? Please help, I'm stumped here. Thanks.
    Oh, by the way...I need the truck tonight...ain't life grand??

[​IMG] Semper Maintenance!
    [​IMG] So many ideas, so little money...

2. K5 NUTT

K5 NUTT 1/2 ton status

Well just got home from the shop...so this will be to late but you could weld up the gap and grind it flush...or just through it together and hunt down some used backing plates at a later date and repair the correct way...when i did my rears i used all new spring hardware right down to the adjusters...also use some anti-sieze in the adjusters themselves to prevent them from freezing up and coat the wear pads on the backplates with a high temp brake grease when you fix it right...i have a tube of the GM stuff in my tool box at work...will get the PN for you if you want. Been to Pendelten before...allthough the Marines were none to friendly...you now...that Army vs. Marine thing...lol. Good luck!

AZBLAZER

1979 K5
    1976 K5 Chalet
    1972 K10 Suburban

3. Corey-88K5

Corey-88K5 1/2 ton status

Home: Michigan, Stationed: Hill AFB (Home of Moab.
    A few questions: Did you adjust the brakes on the rearend before having the problem? If so, you may have adjusted them out too far. Another thing, there is a valve on the chassis just past the mastercyl. on the rear lines. I know there is a reset on it. Something about having to push it in and it will relieve tension on the rear brakes. That valve may have gone bad on your vehicle and hold extra pressure on the rear brakes. Another option is you may need to bleed the lines. You may have some gunk in it that is blocking the lines. And lastly, when you replace your shoes next time, get a kit and replace the springs and all other hardware in the backing plates.

Corey
    88K5
    (Airforce HERE!)
    [​IMG]<font color=blue>Girls Like Guys In Bow Ties</font color=blue>
    <font color=red>http://www.geocities.com/corey_perez

4. Eagle86K5

Eagle86K5 1/2 ton status

Hey AZBlazer...I resemble that last remark!

Semper Fi you Dog....hehehehehehehe

<font color=green>Eagle86K5[​IMG]

<font color=red>Only guy I know that can get out of line in a one car funeral