Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

91gmc jimmy rear power window????

Discussion in '1973-1991 K5 Blazer | Truck | Suburban' started by n8sjh, May 1, 2003.

1. n8sjh

n8sjh Newbie

/forums/images/graemlins/1zhelp.gifI just picked up a 91 GMC jimmy in very good shape. I noticed the rear power window on it was going up and down crooked. I did not really pay much attention to it because it always went up until today. I was going up and it went up really crooked and stoped half way. I put the window back down and tried to go up and pull the lagging side then only went up half way and stopped. Now it will go down but not up. I was using the key switch in the back because the interior switch on the dash does not work! Anyways I took off the access panel on the tailgate and unhooked the cable from the motor and tried the motor with no cable using the key switch. The motor works in the down but not the up position. What do you think is it the key switch or the motor? How can I check? Also where can I get parts for this? While I have it apart I want to replace some of the rusted parts that the window rides on. Thanks guys in advanced. Luckily I stumbled on this message board and it should be helpful with my new tow thanks Steve /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif

2. angrysnowplow

angrysnowplow 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    How can I check?

[/ QUOTE ]

When one of my power window motors was acting all fuggered up, I took it out and hooked it up to the battery. Not sure how the motor in the tailgate comes out, but it's a surefire way to check. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

Problem is probably with the key switch. Real easy to test that theory. Does the cab switch operate in both directions? If so, the key switch needs help. Pretty easy to rebuild/fix the lock switch, once you get it removed.

4. KrebsATM02

KrebsATM02 1/2 ton status

Ahhh, but the problem could also be the saftey switch on the latches. Chevy design it so you couldn't accidentaly roll the window out if the tailgate was down. My bed is so tweaked that I used to have to flip the latches out first for them to grab. Then the switch went out all together so I just bypassed the damn thing.

The switch is on the drivers side. There should be 2 large phillips head screws, maybe 4, i can't remember right now.

You'll have to take the bar off that goes to the handle that pulls the latch in when it's closed. Then you should be able to pull the latch out and see what I'm talking about.

This might not be your problem, but it's one more thing to check before you start replacing things. Also the best way to figure it out is get a volt meter and work from the power to the motor.

Obviously you know your getting power to the switch, just not to the motor. So if you put the meter on the window up power wire on the switch, turn the key and you have no juice it's the switch. If your getting power there and not at the motor, its either the latch switch or a wiring problem.

Best of luck!

5. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

the part about the window going up and down crooked bothers me. Are you sure the arms from the assembly are running in the track right? Are they greased? It takes less power to put the window down then up. If something inside is binding up the it may only work going down.

6. Derf00

Derf00 1/2 ton status

This could also mean that the sash is rusted out and the bracket that holds the actuator arm to the sash has rusted off, and it is not pushing the window up evenly, and is getting into a bind. Mine did that, and acted quite similar.

7. n8sjh

n8sjh Newbie

Ok thanks for all the help I think I narrowed it down to the key switch. I went out today and was checking and it started to go up and down again. I tried this about 4 times and then on the 5th time up it stopped almost to the top. I think it may be the key switch? The switch in the front area does not work at all. I will have to look into that as well. Also the window going up crooked was the arm out of the track. Everything is pretty rusty so I want to replace some things where do I go for these parts besides the dealer? Thanks again guys for all the help.

8. gravdigr

gravdigr 1/2 ton status

there is a forum here called links with links (obviously) to parts dealers and such. Most of them have downloadable catalogs and I know at least 2 of the catalogs had replacement sashes and the rubber to hold the glass in them because I need it for my blazer too.