Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

92 4.3L truck engines have hydraulic lifters, right ?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Sep 25, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

just checking, have a very audible click noise that speeds up with engine speed in one of these enignes, just started doing it one day in last couple weeks, its either rocker and/or lifter causing it somehow.

thanks

2. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Should be rollers. The 4.3 in my '91 S-Jimmy has factory roller lifters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

3. uglychevyZZ4

uglychevyZZ4 3/4 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Should be a garage post right? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

4. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Should be rollers. The 4.3 in my '91 S-Jimmy has factory roller lifters. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

cool, but not solids though, right ? still hydraulic i would think
    actually now that i think about it i dont see how anything stock would be solids cept for back in mid 60s and before in some applications

thanks

5. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

Yep. Hydraulic lifters with roller tips. /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

cool, now to figure out how to make sure that its a lifter or rocker thats making the ticking noise, i would thihnk its most likely a collapsed lifter due to mileage, in which is common

also im unsure as to why this thread is moved to a general 4x4 and modificaiton board, this thread has nothing to do with either or with 4x4 chit chat either, so maybe this board is mis-named ? or is there a hidden subject entry for this board that says "for general automotive engine related posting" ? i posted this thread in the board that it most closely fits, and that is the off topic board, im unsure as to why my off topic posts get remove from off topic board where i post them and where they technically belong, cuz well they are off topic questions - unless there was a general GM or all makes engine and drivetrain posting board- in which there is not... , so i am /forums/images/graemlins/confused.gif actually in hindsight, i think s-series board would be the best place whjere this question belongs, since this particular 4.3L is in an s-10, hmm...
    so that makes it my fault for not specifying that its s-10 related and for not posting in s-10 board, but then its sitll technically off topic since this is mainly 4x4 forum technically even though there is one very little-used 2wd board here, s-series.org is where this should belong but they are horrible abount answering tecyhnicla Q's there, full size forum members do alot better job of answering technically-oriented Q's

thanks