Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'92 454 Install Questions- For '86 Burb

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Highjaxx, Mar 17, 2003.

1. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

\'92 454 Install Questions- For \'86 Burb

I have gotten the motor mounts from ORD.

I bought an oil filter relocation kit to try and clear the headers but it makes contact with the oil filter mounting plate. Can you rotate and/or replace that piece that connects to the block?

The kickdown cable will be attached to the throttle arm or equivilent.

Unsure about how to communicate speed to engine, by speedometer or transfer case?

Any advice is greatly apprechiated.

2. fortcollinsram

fortcollinsram 1/2 ton status

Re: \'92 454 Install Questions- For \'86 Burb

I just happen to be using a 1992 454 for my swap into my blazer as well...

As far as the oil filter issue, does you OE oil filer founting boss come out of the block at an angle such that the oil filt points towards the front driver corner?Well, mine did..On mine, there is an aluminum adapter that bolts to the block that makes the filter shoot out to the side instead of hanging straight down..I think I am just going to use the adapter screw (the part that screws into the adapter that the filter screws to) and screw it straight into the block so the filter mounts vertically...If that doesn't work I am going to get a Gen VI adapter and try that...

I assume that by "communicating speed to the engine" you mean the VSS signal for the ECM correct? Well, on my 350 TBI, I have not had a VSS to my ECM for about 8 months and it just shoots out a SES light every so often...Normally, on older truck, the VSS signal came from a box mounted to the back of the speedo...You could swap in a later model (~89 or 90) speedo...I am having a problem since I have a mech. speedo and I am going to be using an aftermarket speedo...AutoMeter doesn't offer (aty least to me knowledge) a seedo that has a VSS provision...So once I get my 454 in, it will just have to run w/o a VSS signal for a while....

By the way I have a couple questions...

Did the poly motor mounts that you got from ORD work such that the 454 motor plate (the one on the engine) will mount to a 1/2 motor mount on the frame?

ASlso, what headers are you going to be running?

I am getting VERY anxious about getting my BBC in...I am having my engine shaop build the short block and I should have the rest together this week...

Good luck and thanks...

Chris

3. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I bought the Doug Thorley TRI-Y's, 304's I think. For the '86 454. I haven't put the engine in yet, but the motor mounts look like they will work. I'll share any tricks I use. Good luck on your project. /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

4. fortcollinsram

Good choice on the headers...I am getting the same ones (the 304's)...Shawn Spickler has them on his BBC and the fit like a glove...

Also, I assume that you have taken the fuel system into account, since you are going carb to TBI...lucky for my, I have all the plumbing since I already have TBI...just gonna throw in a TurboCity high pressure pump and a new filter..

On the motor mounts, did you get the "Competition" ones? like $150 right?

Althoiugh my motor will be ready to put in in the next week or so, I will have to wait to install it b/c I am installing a new tranny/t-case at the same time as well as doing A LOT of body work while the engine is out, so I am waiting for nice weather (the weather guy is calling for 1-3 feet of snow here in the next 36 hours... /forums/images/graemlins/ignore.gif /forums/images/graemlins/eek.gif)

Good luck and I will let you know what I figure out on the oil system...ADo you have your heart set on the remote system or are you just trying to find something that fits?

Chris

5. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

I don't know what you are refering to "remote system" but I have not taken that into account.

I'll be rebuilding my 700R4 and installing a B&M transkit.

The ORD doubler will sit behind that so I'm using a 205 t-case, I don't know how to put an electronic speed senser on one.

Can I use a inline fuel pump or do I need an in-tank pump? I'm thinking about replaceing my tank with either a fuel cell or smaller tank to get better clearance, since I've already smashed the one on there.

How do you remove the stock oil filter 90* piece that attaches to the block?

It'll all be worth it when it runs again! /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

6. fortcollinsram

Well, you said you bought a oil filter relocation kit to clear the Tri-Y headers...does the kit you bought just rotate the filter or deos it allow the filter to be mounted in a remote location (like the firewall)? I know Summit sells a remote filter kit that lets you mount the filter anywhere you want...

As far as the pump, you can use ANY pump that will provide enough pressure (not hard to do with a TBI system since you only need like 12psi) but you WILL need to plumb a return line to the fuel tank. It may be worth your while to just got to a yard and yank a sending unit off a TBI motor ( and you have a pump and all the plumbing to the tank right there) The 454 TBi uses the same pump as the TBI 350 and 305 (at least the AC delco replacement numbers are the same) so that simplfies things...

I may have an extra TBI sending unit (with pump) laying around...I will check after school tomorrow...

As for the 90-degree adapter, I don't remember exactly how I took it off the block, but i think there a couple of NPT plugs that you take out of the adapter and they expose 2 bolts that thread into the block...

R u freshening you motor up at all or just installing it as-is? I was just going to swap after a cam swap but further inspection showed some rubbed-over babbit on the cam bearing and rod bearings so I went for a full rebuild..Since time has not really been of the utmost importance, I had my engine guy throw my engine in the mix with his ProStock motors and deck it, align bore it, bore .030" over, balanced, new Eagle ESP rods, new FT hyper pistons, Plasma Moly rings, Shaved the heads, and 3-angle valve job...It will be a pretty reliable motor which is what I was after....

I will let you know if I find out anything on the oil filter stuff...

Chris

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

8. Highjaxx

Highjaxx 1/2 ton status

My plans have changed slightly.

I'm getting a new wire harness , skipping the VSS since it was a standard transmission, and I don't care about emissions. Also getting a heated O-2 senser for headers, and fuel pump all from Howell Engine Developments.

I bought a Bowtie Overdrives Level 3 700R4, about the same as rebuilding while stronger(600HP), they also installed my replacment output shaft for free. I'm selling my old 700R4/NP208 combo to my friend with a Heep.

The headers are being returned, Sanderson Shorties are going in for simplicity. It's a relocation kit that allows you put the oil filter on the fire wall. May or may not use it with new headers.

Almost have all the pieces needed to make the Doubler. I will run 32 spline outputs from ORD, flat flanges and 1350 CV shafts all from Tom Woods.

Hopefully this will simplify things.