Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

92 Auto to manual swap

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by b454rat, May 3, 2007.

1. b454rat

b454rat 1/2 ton status Premium Member

Found a good deal on a 92 Blazer, bad 700 trans. (go figure) Curious what is involved swapping them out. I have the pedals, the column, trans/case, but what about the ECM?? Do I need to swap the chip for the standard one?? I'm tired of autos.....

2. udy2554

udy2554 1/2 ton status Premium Member

a few years back, I swapped in a 465/205 combo into an 88 blazer. Didn't have to do anything with the computer, tho i did use the Jet 6-pack. all seemed to work fine.

3. dyeager535

dyeager535 1 ton status Premium Member

You'd be happier with a manual chip. Throttle following, holding RPM higher when you are shifting, etc.

4. b454rat

That's what I figured. Buddy has a few of these in his yard, so maybe I'll rob some parts from some. Talked to the guy about the Blazer, wants $600 for it. Almost 200k, little rusty around the edges, pass seat reclined, stuck in that position. Has a visor, stupid scoop on the hood, 'glass DeeZee running boards, (might actually keep them after I replace the rockers) Z-71 and I think Sport package, at least the Z-71. Didnt look at it for long, nobody home and didn't want to get shot (not the best neighborhood) but gonna go look at it tomorrow, owner said it was cool. After I take a closer look, then I'll know if it's something that I want to mess with....

5. b454rat

Trying to figure out all the parts that I need to swap. I have the pedals and column. Only thing that I can think of is the bell, trans, t-case, x-member, maybe driveshaft. Oh and the chip from the ECM. Sound right? Flywheel and clutch too!!!