Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

92 s-10 4.3L not starting sometimes again,..

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by R72K5, Nov 23, 2003.

1. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

had a problem a while back with it not starting sometimes and would have to use starting fluid to get it going, so we assumed fuel pump going so we replaced that and it still did same thing, later i found that pink wire for coil was broken inside its insulation when i was jiggling it while cranking and would start and then die if you jiggled it more, so replaced that and truck was all better for the longest time until recently now every few days it wont start again, tonight it did it again and it almost fired upon starting fluid but then quit firing, and wont at all now

im am confused, the truck normally always runs great and strong, never usually any problem at all, got about 150k on her all original.
    turning into a POS

what do you think it could be now ? we are leaving it parked where it is til tommorrow and then go back and try it again and it will probably fire up then, but still something is wrong somewhere but no idea what now,.

thanks for anything

2. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Have the ignition module tested.

3. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

[ QUOTE ]
    Have the ignition module tested.

[/ QUOTE ]

so module failure is common among TBI engines also then ? i thought thye took car eof that when distributors were changed ot external coil in 87 88 ?

4. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Definitely not. I sell all kinds of ignition modules. Not near as common as regular HEI, but TBI engines do it too.

That is, as long as the wiring is good to the distributor...if you have no power there you'll have no spark again.

5. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

i noticed last time with past problem that the truck does not inject fuel without primary power supply at the coil end of the pink wire since it was broken

i wish i knew how it all works exactly though

hmm..

thanks

6. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

ok, we went to truck and we jiggled pink wire at coil- the wire thats next to the smaller white wire and that go to the distributor- it starting to start up but would die alot, finally we got it to keep running by crankin and jiggling wire harness til it finally would keep runing well enough to get it back to here

what do you think is going on ?
    we have already replaced this harness once before not that long ago

fuel in jection is gay and i don know why ppl want to convert to the unreliable junk so badly all the time, i love carbs, easy to rebuild and always reliable and pretty much as good on gas as FI as long as your axle is geared right

thanks

7. R72K5

R72K5 Banned

no one know or have problems with ignition related on TBI 4.3L
    ?

thanks

8. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

[ QUOTE ]
    ok, we went to truck and we jiggled pink wire at coil- the wire thats next to the smaller white wire and that go to the distributor- it starting to start up but would die alot, finally we got it to keep running by crankin and jiggling wire harness til it finally would keep runing well enough to get it back to here

what do you think is going on ?
    we have already replaced this harness once before not that long ago

fuel in jection is gay and i don know why ppl want to convert to the unreliable junk so badly all the time, i love carbs, easy to rebuild and always reliable and pretty much as good on gas as FI as long as your axle is geared right

thanks

[/ QUOTE ] FI is better in day to day driving. It will run at all angles and yes they do get better mileage because a computer monitors the fuel and that can't be beat by a carb. HP can be gained with FI over a carb unless your comparing FI to a Demon carb or something(which are very expensive anyway). Yes I agree that they can be a pain in the ass when something is wrong but everything has it's pros and cons. New trucks are harder to work on than our older carbed rigs but the new trucks are very powerful and fuel efficient.

9. civicstomper

civicstomper 1/2 ton status

im not sure if this will be a help or not, but we just had a similar problem on my dad's 90 350TBI. It didnt start at all, and we knew it wasnt fuel bc we put some gas down it with no luck. we replaced the distributer cap, module, and the coil, and it started right up. again, not sure if this is similar or not to your problem, but i know that it worked on my truck. good luck!
    -pete /forums/images/graemlins/k5.gif /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif