Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

93 6.2 problems

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by dogdaysunrise, Mar 26, 2006.

1. dogdaysunrise

dogdaysunrise 1/2 ton status

My GF's dad is having problems with his 93 6.2l. At WOT the EGR is not closing. It as well as the epr are getting power at idle. When the power is manually removed from the EGR solenoid the EGR is still not closing. This is causing some major smoking, and poor millage.

I was thinking that it was the TPS, but then the fact that when the power is removed from the EGR solenoid the EGR still doesnt close kind of throws a wrench into the TPS idea.

I was searching around on here and found how to calibrate a TPS on a gas motor, and was just wondering if it was the same on a 6.2.

Thanks in advance

Last edited: Mar 26, 2006
  2. diesel4me

diesel4me 1 ton status Premium Member

hmmmm....

I'm not very well versed on diesel EGR valves,but I thought on a 6.2 I read they are supposed to be open at idle,and close during acceleration..they work in conjunction with the EPR valve located in one exhaust manifold(same thing as a heat riser on a gas motor)...

My 6.2's EGR is disconnected,and it smokes pretty good upon acceleration..but it doesn't run bad or get poor mileage,at least I thought 16-22 mpg wasn't bad for a 3/4 ton 4x4..:dunno: ..ones that have a "J" code enjine and intake have NO EGR valve whatsoever!..:crazy:

By "TPS",if you mean "throttle position sensor",my 6.2 has no such thing,its mechanical fuel injection..a 93 might though if its computerized..you'll need to speak with someone with more knowledge of newer trucks than me on that one!..:eek1:

3. Pookster

Pookster 1/2 ton status

EGR's are kinda useless anyways. Im surprised you have a 93 with a non turbo. 92 was the transition year.

However, even if the EGR was open I doubt it should be producting black smoke. (maybe lack of power, but not smoke). Black smoke means unburnt fuel.

I forget how you plug up the EGR, you dont need it.

Black smoke however, means that you might have something wrong with the fuel- how many miles? It could be the injectors dribbling

4. dogdaysunrise

well from what I have read, the TPS cuts power to the solenoids at 15degrees throttle position. and also controls the shift points of the 700r.

5. dogdaysunrise

well the black smoke isnt so much of a concern. It is more of the loss of power and poor millage that is concerning him.

6. dogdaysunrise