Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

93 Blazer ABS brake light on

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by aaronstorms, Dec 8, 2002.

1. aaronstorms

aaronstorms Registered Member

I just purchased a 93 Blazer that was a Sheriff's rig, including spotlight...:) The brakes are grinding and the ABS light stays on all the time. Will just replacing the brakes and turning the rotors turn off the light, or is the ABS sensor bad, or tone rings, or should I just unplug the darn light? Thanks, Aaron

2. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

jump the brake codes and see whats wrong.

3. aaronstorms

How do you do jump the codes? I just replaced the front disc pads tonight as they were shot, thne took it for a test drive and all was great, but the light was still on? Thanks, Aaron

4. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Probably have a dead wheel sensor or the backing plate it's mounted to is bent. Happens quite often. But I agree, check the codes.

5. aaronstorms

Do I cycle the ignition key multiple times to get the codes to flash like in a jeep, or do you have to have a code detector like with my Camaro with readouts? What does the wheel sensor look like and where abouts on the wheel is it mounted? I was thinking of just unplugging the ABS sensor if I can find it and can't find anything mechanically wrong - the brakes work fine. Thanks, Aaron

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

get a paperclip and jump the corresponding terminals on the data link connector under the dash(just to the left of the steering wheel). if you don't have one, get a chilton's manual. it'll show you the correct terminals.

7. HarryH3

HarryH3 1 ton status Author

You'll need a good service manual to troubleshoot the ABS system. Once the light comes on, it will stay on until it gets reset. The manual will tell you the procedure for resetting it. It will also explain how to get the system to tell you the failure code that it has stored. Then you can look up the code in the troubleshooting table to find out what the computer thinks is wrong. Be sure to read the code before you reset the computer. /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

8. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

The wheel sensor is mounted to the dust shield behind the brake rotor. There is a ring gear n the backside of the rotor and this sensor counts the teeth as they go around. If the flimsy dust shield got bent at all by a rock or twig or something, the reading will be off and will turn the light on.

If you unplug the sensor all together you will get a constant ABS light and you will go back to normal braking. When I did the SFA swap on my truck I disconnected the sensors and now I have a constant light, which was solved by cutting the signal wire from the abs computer to the ECM, and I have normal braking once again, which I like better.

9. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

ok, i grabbed my book here. look under the dash for a little blackrectangular-shaped connector. it should be to the left of the steering column.

here's how the terminals are marked:

F E _ C B A
    _ H J _ _ M

A: ground
    B: diagnostic terminal
    C: air
    E: serial data
    F: TCC
    H: brake
    J: electric shift
    M: serial data

this is what you to do:

jump the terminals H(brake) and A(ground). you can do it with a paperclip. watch the anti-lock light on the dash, wait a few seconds, then you'll see it start to flash. for example, it will flash 4 times, pause, then flash three times. that's a code of 43. each code will flash 3 times, then move on to the next stored code. ok, 12 and 14 are not trouble codes. they just indicate user interface with the computer. after you get the codes, post them here and i or someone else can tell you what the code means.

10. aaronstorms

Thanks a bunch guys! I'll try to get out to the Blazer and check it out tomorrow in the daylight and get back with what I discover. Aaron