Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

9378579382758 trucks and I'm stranded at home. What should I do?

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by mountainexplorer, Nov 30, 2004.

1. mountainexplorer

mountainexplorer 1/2 ton status

9378579382758 trucks and I\'m stranded at home. What should I do?

Not 100% stranded, but to the point where I have to go to work right now, and the effort I will have to put forth to leave is greater than I want to spend.

Theres compact snow and black ice everywhere, its hard enough to walk.

Of the vehicles that are here and run:

The Orange Blazer has 35" Swampers and a Detroit Locker, no heater and no headlights, windows are stuck down. Not gonna take it.

Brutus (a '77 Crew Cab) has no wipers, and no front driveline, and the rear is 4.56 and the front is 4.10 right now. Not taking it.

The shortbed is missing a front driveline, of which I don't have. It also has 33x12.50-15 "slicks" on the back, and its doubtful it will move on flat ground right now. Not taking it... its parked at a friends place 12 blocks away anyway.

The '84 Chevy... just replaced the water pump, but havent put the front driveline in it yet. Carb is acting up, rear bumper is off and unsure of how much fuel it has. Its sitting on 35x14.50 THORNBIRDS. NOT taking it.

The little Crew Cab. Has operational 4wd, heater, but no gas. Plus its hooked to the car trailer and I don't want to unhook it. Not gonna bother.

This leaves me with a stock 1978 K5 Blazer. Heater kinda works. Full-time 4wd works. Lights work, wipers work. Started it up to warm it up. Came inside... heard it just die. Ran out of gas in the driveway.

So, I can walk a block north to where I have a gallon of gas in a gas can (my "fuel cell" in my beater motorhome), walk back, put it in the Blazer, warm it up, go to the gas station, get gas, THEN go to work.

Or I can just sit here online thinking about how I don't want to do anything. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

2. rubbinz raczn

rubbinz raczn 1/2 ton status

Re: 9378579382758 trucks and I\'m stranded at home. What should I do?

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

3. mr_beer

mr_beer 1/2 ton status

It sounds to cold to go to work anyway /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

4. RustBuket

RustBuket 1/2 ton status

In the time it took you to write that, you could have gotten the gas and left already... /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

5. sublmnl1990

sublmnl1990 1/2 ton status

/forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    hey is there a bike in your garage?

6. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

This is probably not what you want to hear but if it was me I would either sell some of those trucks and buy something newer in good shape that is reliable and get you around or take the money from selling a couple of them and fix up the best one into a reliable vehicle.

That is completely cool if you like having a bunch of trucks in the driveway that aren't exactly "reliable and ready to go" ( I mean that in no offence, but that obviously is your situation at the moment) but I don't see the purpose of having all of them around when they aren't running or somewhat road worthy.

I bet you would never regret selling your least favorite vehicles and buying a newer, nicer, reliable vehicle once you do it. /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif

7. 84_Chevy_K10

84_Chevy_K10 Banned

Take the motorhome. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

8. sublmnl1990

[ QUOTE ]
    This is probably not what you want to hear but if it was me I would either sell some of those trucks and buy something newer in good shape that is reliable and get you around or take the money from selling a couple of them and fix up the best one into a reliable vehicle.

[/ QUOTE ] /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shame.gif
    Is this your mom? /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

9. rjfguitar

/forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

10. rjfguitar

If you are going to quote me....at least learn how to post correctly first. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

11. sublmnl1990

[ QUOTE ]
    If you are going to quote me....at least learn how to post correctly first. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
    damn is this my mom /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif
    to bad they dont have a smiley with its hand on its hip /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

yada yada yada

12. rjfguitar

[ QUOTE ]
    [ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
    damn is this my mom /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

yada yada yada

[/ QUOTE ]Am I your mom? /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif No, I'm not your mommy, weirdo. /forums/images/graemlins/screwy.gif

13. 84gmcjimmy

84gmcjimmy 1 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Take the motorhome. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I second that! /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

14. sublmnl1990

your acting like someones mommy /forums/images/graemlins/yikes.gif

15. mountainexplorer

Trust me, thats the plan. The following vehicles were purchases of mine that are NOT a permanent part of the Fleet:

The shortbed, the '84, Brutus, and the '78 K5. These are all "projects" that I bought/traded to make some money on and/or get some parts I need. I just... well... haven't finished them yet.

I swapped a motor, tranny, T-case and front/rear axles into the '84 last week... and havent got to the little things yet. I'm going to throw the skinny tires and plow on it Friday for this winter, then sell it eventually.

Brutus needs a rear axle swap and some minor tinkering. Ive already swapped the front axle, and put a motor in it. It's nearly ready to get advertised.

The shortbed I swapped axles under and put a motor in. I'm keeping the 205 out of the shortbed, and putting a 203 and drivelines back in it, and a matching set of tires, then it's ready to get advertised.

The '78 K5 I just got on a trade. It needs minor stuff, and a flexplate. I'll probably keep it through winter before I sell it.

As for the Fleet:

The Orange Blazer is just a toy, more for summer only use. It's just here cause the garage up north is full.

The little Crew Cab has nothing really wrong with it. I just am too lazy to unhook the trailer.

My Blue '84 Blazer is 35 miles away from here, but fully functional except for the rear window and a flat tire.

My Suburban is 85 miles away from here, along with the rest of the fleet, which are currently non-running awaiting assembly or repair.

Having something "newer" has crossed my mind (and everyone elses that tells me the same thing), but I just don't like newer stuff. I still make the claim I have less money into my 20 rigs than some do into one newer one. Of course, if you saw mine in person, it would all make total sense. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

16. sublmnl1990

I think I am speaking for every one here since your not going to work today I suggest you clean your room young man!!!
    /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif /forums/images/graemlins/histerical.gif

and no pudding unless you eat your meat, how can you have any pudding unless you eat your meat. /forums/images/graemlins/dunno.gif

17. mountainexplorer

If the motorhome were licensed I probably would.

I just moved it today into the backyard of our rental house... nearly got it stuck in a hole. Once it would get to spinning the rear tires, it would backfire through the carb and kill the motor. I need to replace the distributor.

Also, I noticed the cold and snow started peeling away the duct tape. If I drove it to work, I'd bet when I got there the passenger side wall would a bare skeleton. I'm all for natural air conditioning, but not this time of year. /forums/images/graemlins/rotfl.gif

18. mountainexplorer

It's off to work I go...

I found my mom's '91 S-10 parked across the street. Its outside warming up right now.

You see, as if I didn't have enough vehicles around here, she decided her S-10 wasn't enough, and got a mini-van... and a Dakota. The mini-van is in the yard under a portable carport, and she's driving the Dakota.

So, I'll use the S-10. It even has gas.

Hmmm... I can't hear it running though. Hope no one stole it.

19. rubbinz raczn

[ QUOTE ]
    This is probably not what you want to hear but if it was me I would either sell some of those trucks and buy something newer in good shape that is reliable and get you around or take the money from selling a couple of them and fix up the best one into a reliable vehicle

[/ QUOTE ] or keep one and sell the others,but a reliable rig that you don't have to ever touch! /forums/images/graemlins/hack.gif

20. rubbinz raczn

[​IMG] [ QUOTE ]
    think I am speaking for every one here since your not going to work today I suggest you clean your room young man!!!

[/ QUOTE ]