Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

94-01 Dodge 1500 4wds?

Discussion in 'Other Rides' started by thezentree, Aug 17, 2004.

1. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

after workin with my friend on his lifted f-150 today, and suffering from insane tire envy, i started thinkin about tradin my yukon for a dodge 1/2 ton 4wd. its already got a solid front axle, a bigger motor, and lifts are cheaper (not to mention wheels and tires - 15" wheels /forums/images/graemlins/waytogo.gif )

anyway, the only thing that is keeping me from going dodge shopping right now, at midnight (other than the whole not being a chevy part) is that fact that ive heard nothing but the fact that chrysler trannys SUCK. my friends older brother had a 98 ram 4wd and he went through two trannies (probly due to the fact that he wheeled the piss out of it, but thats beside the point), and that worries me. if thats the case, do yall think that a tranny cooler/guage and shift kit would help the tranny hold up to moderate wheelin and 35s?

2. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Bigger motor? Going from a 350 (I assume) to a 360 isnt a big jump and honestly I think the 360 is gutless and is definetely a big gas hog...IMHO

3. thezentree

thezentree 3/4 ton status

my friend had a 99 2wd 5.9L, that thing was waaaaaaay faster than my truck.....gas hog, yes. /forums/images/graemlins/whistling.gif

4. K5MONSTERCHEV

K5MONSTERCHEV 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    Bigger motor? Going from a 350 (I assume) to a 360 isnt a big jump and honestly I think the 360 is gutless and is definetely a big gas hog...IMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, big time gutless. The trannies are notorious for going out, my friend with a dodge has been complaining abou thte same thing. And the bearings in the rearend will go out also.

If its more power you want, supercharger, if a solid axle is what you want, put one in, im sure itll be chaper then buying a new truck.

5. rjfguitar

rjfguitar 3/4 ton status GMOTM Winner

I haven't heard about a lot of problems with the later 46RE trannies, mainly the earlier 47RE's behind the cummins.

As far as the tranny goes, it's obviously the 5spd or the auto and when I buy a Dodge 3/4 CTD I am going with the auto because the stick is too slow and if I have to buy a $5K ATS tranny than thats it. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
    Basically, it you go with the auto be well aware and ready to spend some dough beefing one up.