Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'94 blazer serpentine belt removal

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by drusky2k5, Jun 15, 2005.

1. drusky2k5

drusky2k5 Registered Member

I need to replace the alternator on the truck and need to know how to remove the belt to relieve pressure. Which is the tension pulley and how do you loosen it? Also, looking for a good deal on a higher amp alternator for the truck, anyone know of a good parts place that sells them inexpensively? Or the best brand/type to get?

2. k5freak44

k5freak44 1/2 ton status

i dont know about what kind of alt to get but i do know there is just a little levar with a nut on it that holds all the tension to the line. just bend it counter clockwise and slip the belt off.

MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A DIAGRAM OF HOW IT IS RUN!!!

3. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

LOOK AT THE AC COMPRESSOR. NOW LOOK JUST RIGHT OF IT YOU WILL SEE A PULLEY WITH AN ARM ON IT. TAKE A WRENCH AND PUT IT ON THE BOLT IN THE CENTER OF THE PULLEY AND PULL UP AND TOWARDS THE PASSANGER SIDE. THIS WILL RELEIVE TENSION ON THE BELT.
    [​IMG]

THIS IS MY ENGINE, THE TENSIONER CAN BE SEEN JUST UNDER THE UPPER HOSE TO THE LEFT OF THE ALTERNATOR. IT IS A 95 MODEL IN MY 87 BLAZER.

HOPE THAT HELPS.
    PS. THERE SHOULD BE A BELT ROUTING DIAGRAM ON YOUR FANSHROUD. IF NOT MAKE SURE YOU LOOK AT THE BELT BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT.

GABE

4. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

What he said.....

But when you remove the belt, and release tension on teh tensioner, do so slowly....if you just let go you will probably break the tensioner and get injured.

I would also make SURE you are using the right socket size, and i would reccomend doing it only with a 6pt socket. I used a 16 or 18" breaker bar with a 6pt socket and had no trouble.

If i hadn't already sent my tools home, i'd give you teh socket size....i think its 15 or 16 mm.

Good luck!

5. GEORGIA GABE

GEORGIA GABE 1/2 ton status

just my opinion on this but, I use a long box end wrench. this way the force applied is not at any angle and there is less chance of it cocking sideways and slipping off.

gabe

6. cbbr

cbbr 1 ton status GMOTM Winner

Second that - use a wrench. That thing has some pretty good tension and if it slips its bad.

7. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Hm, i never thought of that. Does it stick out far enough to get a wrench on?

8. drusky2k5

drusky2k5 Registered Member

Got it

Thanks guys! I got it off no prob.