Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

94 F150

Discussion in 'The Garage' started by Drey, Dec 26, 2006.

1. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

Yes I know its a Ford...and that makes me a traitor whatever

truck in question is a 4x4, with a 5 speed(geared high) and a 300 straight six, I can only get like 14-15 mpg out of this thing, is that normal?

2. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Depends what you drive it like. I forget exactly, but is the stock shift lights programmed for best economy? You shoudl really be able to goose a little more milage out of it if its a stick , i'd think. But who knows.

3. Drey

Drey 3/4 ton status

no shift light or tach in it, im just shiftin by engine noise. Its loud enough you can tell when your in the right range or not. You can definatly tell when your lugging it by the noise but not the power, plenty of torque once your rollin

And this is the type of driving i would pull 19 with in my blazer, im not beating on it or anything. But it is running on the warm side, when I get a new fan clutch thrown in it tommorrow, well see if that helps any.

4. 3 on the tree

3 on the tree 1/2 ton status

I had an 88 2wd with the same drivetrain. I bought it specifically for commuting to jobsites. I figured a 6 would get better gas mileage. SURPRISE-it didn't. Absolute best was 18mpg at 55, on flat freeway. The norm was 15-16. BTW, that 5 speed is a real POS. Built by Mazda, and Ford uses it on anything from rangers to light 3/4 tons. Is the shifter sloppy yet? If you plan on keeping it, pull the shifter and replace the nylon collar the shifter rests in.

5. IIVIIoonshiner

IIVIIoonshiner Registered Member

my daily driver is a 1994 f-150 with a 302 v-8//m50d//bwcase (very similar setup) they don't get good gas mileage. Mine gets 16 city 18 hwy when i drive it easy. it is more like 12 if i hammer it everywhere i go. the m50d(same as yours) is fine for road driving... it doesn't have an acceptable low gear and the gasket on top will almost ALWAYS break and leak tranny fluid (mercon-v) these trannies are a pain in the ass because there is no convenient fill tube. You have to crawl under it undo the bolts and fill it manually... my tranny is on 180k miles because i have kept it full of fluid. I am sure that I would have replaced it long ago if I wasn't conscious of the leak. (check yours because this leak is common)

very reliable truck and fairly tough (mines been through alot) I would pick a box style chevy over these trucks for toughness... but not an ifs chevy.

pretty much drive like a grandma if you want good fuel mileage....

one other thing... when it comes time to replace the tranny you will prolly pay out the nose unless you plan ahead. Try to find a m5od ahead of time or find a better transmission so that when it goes you don't become DISO (desperately in search of) a new one.