Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

94 K1500 Oil Pump

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by beater_k20, Oct 31, 2004.

1. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

my buddy just called and asked if i would help change the oil pump in his 94 K1500 next weekend, as it is going bad. can it be done without pulling the engine? how big of a job are we looking at?

2. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

it can be done with out taking the engine out but you might have to remove some of the front axle. What is the reason for changing the pump?

3. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

and if you have to remove the ifs diff its easy can been done in an hour with air.

4. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oil pressure is going REAL low at idle (below the reading of the guage in the dash), my buddy disconnected the sender, and tested it with a mechanical guage. the mech guage reads the same as the elect. guage. so he's got a problem somewhere, and seems to think that that is it. hopefully he's right.

5. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

oil pressure is going REAL low at idle (below the reading of the guage in the dash), my buddy disconnected the sender, and tested it with a mechanical guage. the mech guage reads the same as the elect. guage. so he's got a problem somewhere, and seems to think that that is it. hopefully he's right.

6. 1979jimmy350

1979jimmy350 1/2 ton status

what type of oil areyou running?

7. bigred81

bigred81 1/2 ton status

Get rid of the engine cooler because it sounds like it is getting ready to take the crank. The oil cooler starves the main bearings and rods of oil for about 5 seconds because it drains out over night. Probaly what he is hearing is the mains and rods knocking in the morning when he starts his truck. If it where me ditch the oil cooler that is my opinion. You will need to get a $30 adapter from GM because of the 4wd. Oil pressure is low because there is excessive wear in the bearings.

bigred81

8. beater_k20

beater_k20 Banned

unknown what kind of oil he's running, but i'm going to assume its good, since i worked with him @ Jiffy Lube for almost 4 years, and he was completely anal about oil changes then.

as for the oil cooler starving the engine, there isnt a problem with any noise, just when there is no load on the engine. it hasnt made it to the noise stage yet, so we're going to replace teh pump and call it good. he pulls a trailer with it, so ditching the oil cooler isnt a good idea, if it even has one.