Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

94 saftey? Diesel sub mileage?

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by dhcomp, Jul 5, 2006.

1. dhcomp

dhcomp 3/4 ton status Premium Member

Ok, so here comes a long post. If you want to skip to teh actual questions, go to the bottom.

My 94 K1500 Blazer (full size) is my first truck. My parents Bought it with 80,000 miles on it when i turned 16, i still have it now at 150,000miles and im 21. Its been in my life for a long time, and it has never let me down.
    I love this truck.

Flash to two weeks ago. My 18yr old sister, 98 Grand Cherokee, runs a red light (so i say, no one knows for sure) and Tbones a Tahoe at probably 45 mph. Airbags go off, totals the jeep, everyone walks away. She was lucky in the timing of where the cars collided.

Now, my parents are convinced her airbags saved her life. And they probably did. They look at my truck - no airbags.

My truck was bought for me, and my parents said that was it.....i buy my next truck. But now, they're so worried about my safety, they are considering buying me another truck, or passing on their tahoe to me.
    Their tahoe is a 2001, dark grey, prolly 70,000miles, sweet looking truck......for a newer GM.

After this truck, and the slipping 4l60E (since i got it, only slips into 1st, still rolls.....), weak brakes, etc, i swore i would never buy another 1/2 ton.

I tow with it on occasion, and travel in it a lot. My parents really want me to get something more economical, and i do too, but i am considering a burb cause i can get it in a 3/4 ton. Doubt i could even get the same mileage out of a vortec 350 in a 3/4 ton burb, so am considering diesel's. I knwo the old ones are weak, but they do get good mileage, rite?

QUESTION

Who has wrecked a 92-95 (w/o airbags)? How did it hold up?
    How would you rate its safey? As i see it, mine has 2 main safety features. Me driving it, and the ton-age rule.

Second question

What type of mileage do ppl get out of 96-99 Diesel Suburbans (4x4, 2500)? City/Highway unloaded? I get about 13/15.5 out of my 350 blazer rite now if i stay out of the gas pedal.

What about a 96-99 3/4 with a 350?

I really dont' want to part with my truck, but the tranny is probably done soon, and all sorts of thigns are startign to go wrong. I RARELY wheel this thing, so thats less of an issue, cept i hate the plastic skid plates on teh tahoe( guess i could swap them out?).

THe tahoe is probably my best option, as that is worth more than my parents will spend on my next truck, but a diesel burb woudl be sweet for the mileage and the fact that i've ALWAYS wanted a burb.

What would you do?

Sorry for the really long post guys, hope you all understand this dilema i'm in.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited: Jul 5, 2006
  2. ryan22re

ryan22re 1/2 ton status

Honestly, I think airbags are overrated. Plenty of people have survived crashes without airbags. Did they help in the jeep? Probably, considering it was the vehicle with less mass than the tahoe involved. Your sub would probably destroy just about anything you run into aside from imovable objects. Plus at this point, you are probably a better driver than your 18 yr oild sister and can use that for leverage.

The 96-99 subs don't get any better gas mileage than the earlier versions. 3/4t's will be slightly less. A friend of mine has two 6.5's, one 96 3/4t sub and one 97 3/4t truck. The sub gets slightly better mileage, with both around 18 mpg highway. But he drives like an old man, hardly ever tows with them. The 96-99 diesel subs are getting hard to find without a pile of miles on them.

I say if you like the sub, fix the tranny and keep it, find a smaller economical vehicle with airbags and drive that.

3. dhcomp

Thanks for the reply. I don't have a Sub right now, currently i have a Full size blazer. But thanks for the info.....i figured a 6.5 burb would get 18-20 on the highway.

4. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

Have to remember 6.5s have more issues than they do power... mileage would be the ONLY reason to get one. And Vortec 350 gas engines have been known to get 17mpg... Mine did.... once...

I agree with Ryan22re. I am more afraid of airbags than I think they are going to help me. Your sister did something dumb, we all do it, but I bet you have a few of your dumb moves out of the way. Personally if it were me? I'd tell my parents I don't want them giving me their truck, I'd rather not do that to them financially. I feel fine in the Tahoe, its bigger than most on the street afterall.

5. dhcomp

17mpg out of the vortec? In what vehicle?

I've talked to the parents a little more....their ideas on the saftey vary from mine/yours. I'm gonna try and keep my truck...but they own it.....so i guess its their call.

Maybe i'll look for a 96-99 3/4 burb with the 350....shouldnt' get worse mileage than my truck now......

6. sled_dog

sled_dog 1 ton status

mine is a C2500. Its not extremely uncommon to get mid teens from a Vortec. Mine is running really rich right now and getting 10mpg.

7. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Hell Ive gotten 21 mpg in my 98 RCSB Z71 5.7 Vortec on the highway before. It has 3.42 gears and 285's (33") and I regularly get atleast 19mpg

8. dhcomp

Ok, so my parents aren't going to force me to do anything ASAP, but want me to continue looking for something that is "safer".

Diesel burb would prolly be best, but near impossible to find w/ low miles.

Think i'm gonna try to find a 3/4 wiht the 5.7.

Anyone have a stock k2500 burb that can report mileage?
    I'm most worried about freeway mileage from road trips.
    Thanks!

9. Eastcoast 4WD

Eastcoast 4WD Registered Member

Averaged 14.5 MPG from Moab back to PA in a 1992 Blazer SAS 40" Boggers Towing a trailer 5.13's 1 tons Vortec 350. I have had several 6.5's in othe rtrucks, but the vortec 350 in my blazer was far better all around.

10. dhcomp

DId you swap the vortec into the 92?

11. Eastcoast 4WD

Yup, Swapped in the Vortec 350, and 4L80E Harness Computer and entire exhaust system from a 1996 3500 Pickup. This is the best setup 350 vortec, because of the 10,000+ GVWR of the pickup it came from the factory with dual 3" Head pipes and 3" Inlet Cats. The outlet is 2.5" which I then ran straight pipes the rest of the way out. My blazer weighs 6175lbs and my trailer weighs 4750lbs.

12. dhcomp

hm, ok. If i could get the same mileage im getting now out of a 96-99 k2500 burb with a 5.7.....then that is what i must search for.

Thanks!

13. Eastcoast 4WD

The Sub is gonna weigh about 1100 lbs more, so acceleration will be less, and more fuel spent getting up to speed, but as far as cruising goes, a vortec 350 sub with 3.42's should get about 16-17 mpg hwy on a regular basis. NOW good luck finding a 3/4 ton 350 vortec sub with a ff rear, This is the rarest way these trucks were ordered.

14. dhcomp

yah, i know. Not concerned about the FF rear though, don't tow that much weight. Most i've towed with my 1/2 ton is like 5000lbs.

15. yellowK20

yellowK20 Well Lubricated Premium Member GMOTM Winner

I have a 98 Vortec 454 powered Sub with a 6" lift and 35" bfg's and 4.10's it gets 14-15mpg Highway with my best tank coming in at 16.2 and my worse at 9.4 Mpg (towing a Bigblock K30) I would think a 350 powered sub with stock tires could get better than what I'm getting.
    My dad has 1994 SCLB Z-71 and regulary gets 17-18mpg with it .oh and Z-71's all have 3.73's , skidplates, and Bilstein shocks, and came factory with 265-70's ..... well prior to 99 they did these new body style "Z-71" seems like it's just a sticker:mad:

16. daleearnhardt01

daleearnhardt01 1/2 ton status

Negative on those gears for Z71's... I have a 98 Z71 and it has 3.42s.. :mad:

As much as I dislike those gears, with the 285s Ive gotten 21mpg on the highway before :D

17. PhoenixZorn

PhoenixZorn 1/2 ton status

Seriously, I feel far safer in my full size 94 Yukon than I do in my wife's 97 Grand Prix with dual Air Bags... I know of a few people who have been killed BY their air bags, and I don't trust them. Besides, your GVW should be about 6100lbs in your Yukon/Tahoe/Blazer, and the whole thing is steel... Unless you get T-boned by a semi (or a burb), you are going to be far safer in your 6000lb truck than in any car on the road save for a Saab... but that's besides the point. You are driving around in 6000+lbs of detroit Steel... no Fiberglass on your truck yet, and you have a full frame vehicle... don't worry about not having air bags, just wear your seat belt and tell your parents your truck is plenty safe.