Dismiss Notice

Welcome To CK5!

Registering is free and easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon.

Score a FREE t-shirt and membership sticker when you sign up for a Premium Membership and choose the recurring plan.

'94 yukon

Discussion in '1992-Present Chevy & GMC models' started by mattyblazer, Jun 14, 2003.

1. mattyblazer

mattyblazer 1/2 ton status

\'94 yukon

I just picked up a 94 Yukon, and got it stuck on the beach this morning. When I entered the beach, the 4WD was working, when I went to leave the front axles were dead, no light nothing. After some cursing, digging, and airing down I was able to sneak away from the tide line and get home. A shop I trust was willing to look at it right away, the drive shaft was turning but not the wheels. Well it turned out to be an "actuator" in the trans axle, but the funny thing is the dealer replacement part was a diffrent design with an adapter harness. The parts guy said it was due to a faulty design in the first place.

Anyone else have a problem like this?

2. u2slow

u2slow 1/2 ton status

Re: \'94 yukon

Common problem.

I realize its a plug for a competing product, but it has some info on the weakness(es) of the original component. The Posi-Lok is a mechanical cable actuator that you control manually from inside your truck.

http://www.4x4posi-lok.com/advantage.html

94 was the last year before GM changed to the revised version you now have in your truck.

3. mattyblazer

Thank you for the info... So is the new unit any better, or is the manual system the way to go?

4. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

forget the replacement junk...still electric. go for the manual posilok.

5. 89K1500Chevy

89K1500Chevy 1/2 ton status

Fuk that its the same thing only old school go with the new one you already have it and you dont have push and pull on a cable. Both have there pro's and con's but id keep it the same for now anyways Mine is from 1989 and has not let me down yet. but now im sure it will prob go out now that i have said this but mabey not. /forums/images/graemlins/truck.gif /forums/images/graemlins/usaflag.gif www.zombieoffroading.8m.net

6. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

[ QUOTE ]
    its the same thing only old school

[/ QUOTE ]
    that's the point. all this new stuff that's suppose to make things easier is for the lazy man.... besides, the "old school" stuff is more reliable. let's see, playing a "guess the gremlin" in the electrical system or "damn, my arms are broke, can't pull the cable" /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

7. mattyblazer

My truck has the lever on the floor, not the button, but since I have the part installed allready, I think I will leave it for now, but I will buy the cable driven peice and leave it in the back of the truck for now... If I knew about it I would have bought it.

8. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

i'm not talking about changing what engages the tcase(lever on the floor or pushbutton on the dash). i'm talking about what locks the front end (posilok or electric/thermal actuator).

9. mattyblazer

My point was that the truck I have is not all push button, there is still some mechanical stuff there.

10. Shorts

Shorts 1/2 ton status

umm, yeah - mine too... 94s dont have much for pushbutton junk...the 95s/96s started that stuff

what he heck was the question??? /forums/images/graemlins/crazy.gif /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif

11. mattyblazer

Ok,
    So now its a few weeks later, and I'm on the beach saturday night, and the front axle makes a bump sound, and the wheels in the back just dig...
    The 4WD indicator light stayed illuminated this time, and from time to time the front axle would engage.
    Any Ideas what it could be?
    Getting stuck really sucks, especially when guys in ford rangers, and pathfinders stop to tell ya "you really need to air down"
    Thanks

12. 89K1500Chevy

hmmmm... /forums/images/graemlins/thinking.gif mabey you should try to air down the tires a little more then you did cuz that could keep you from diggin a bigger hole /forums/images/graemlins/thumb.gif ok have you checked out the wires for any that may have gotten rubbed on and are grounding out before the actuator?

13. willyswanter

willyswanter 1/2 ton status GMOTM Winner

Ah yes how I love just locking my hubs and throwing the lever forward and being in 4wd... So much better than waiting 2 minutes for my actuator to engage... If it did at all...

Oh, and get the posi-lock and be done with it already... It replaces the actuator in the front axle. Instead of having an electric actuator, it's replaced by a manual cable and lever assembly. You have a knob in the cab you push and it manually engages the front end. No wiring to [I love Jeeps] up, no actuators to die... And it locks instantly...

14. 89K1500Chevy

i must have the only good system that came outta the factory mine works fast going into and out of 4wd hi and low.. did you check the fluid level in the T case and the Diff?

15. mattyblazer

well I've had no new problems with the actuator, its been in there for a few weeks now. I have been running Mickey Thompson baha tires, and air it down to 10 pounds in very deep sand.
    Everything is smooth so far.